Origins and history

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Kaiya

Post by Kaiya »

If this is in the wrong section please forgive me.I found this quite by accident while surfing the net and felt I had to come post it here The old nursery rhyme 'There was an old woman of Leeds' is believed to refer to a woman called Sarah Keighley. Sarah Keighley was a pious woman, from the English town of Leeds. She had strong Calvinistic principles and was the aunt of the American theologian Joseph Priestley (1733-1804). Priestley is usually remembered for his 1774 discovery, in England, of oxygen. Priestley left England for a new life in Pennsylvania where he counted Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and James Watt amongst his friends.                             There was an old woman of Leeds                             Who spent all her time in good deeds;                             She worked for the poor                             Till her fingers were sore,                             This pious old woman of Leeds.
Attachments
__TFMF_oshoo4qahazmn4jehqaikzih_165d567e-ee0e-4519-b7f4-f968bddb956e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oshoo4qahazmn4jehqaikzih_165d567e-ee0e-4519-b7f4-f968bddb956e_0_main.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 1656 times