Meaning of Royds

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
book

Post by book »

What is the meaning and origin of the word Royds? It's a popular word and it features at the end of many places
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Even in surnames!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Norwegian Name Meaning - dwells in the clearing in the forest.A cleared way through a wood is called a riding. The old Norse rydja meant to clear land, especially of wood, the modern Danish form of the word being rydde, and a clearance of anything is a rydning. Royd and rod; like röd in Denmark, are elsewhere common terminations, all implying the same thing.     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

book

Post by book »

Well done Phill. Thanks
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Norwegian Name Meaning - dwells in the clearing in the forest.A cleared way through a wood is called a riding. The old Norse rydja meant to clear land, especially of wood, the modern Danish form of the word being rydde, and a clearance of anything is a rydning. Royd and rod; like röd in Denmark, are elsewhere common terminations, all implying the same thing.      In view of the closeness of the words and similarity of what it is I wonder if road is derived from royd?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Norwegian Name Meaning - dwells in the clearing in the forest.A cleared way through a wood is called a riding. The old Norse rydja meant to clear land, especially of wood, the modern Danish form of the word being rydde, and a clearance of anything is a rydning. Royd and rod; like röd in Denmark, are elsewhere common terminations, all implying the same thing.      In view of the closeness of the words and similarity of what it is I wonder if road is derived from royd? More than likely [Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English rd; see reidh- in Indo-European roots.]
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

You are clearly a multi-linguist Phill. I could say a cunning linguist but that might attract censorable comments! but I'm also a bit
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: You are clearly a multi-linguist Phill. I could say a cunning linguist but that might attract censorable comments! but I'm also a bit Ha ha, no comment

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: You are clearly a multi-linguist Phill. I could say a cunning linguist but that might attract censorable comments! but I'm also a bit Ha ha, no comment "So we put her on the hit list Of a common cunning linguist A master of many tongues" (Deep Purple,Knocking at your back door from 1984 album Perfect Strangers)
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Norwegian Name Meaning - dwells in the clearing in the forest.A cleared way through a wood is called a riding. The old Norse rydja meant to clear land, especially of wood, the modern Danish form of the word being rydde, and a clearance of anything is a rydning. Royd and rod; like röd in Denmark, are elsewhere common terminations, all implying the same thing.      The equivalent in Lancashire is "rod." Yorkshire Ormeroyd - Lancashire Ormerod.