Places / Streets etc that sound nothing like they are spelled

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Calverley was either Carvery or Carverly in me brother's vocab ! Bet he even thought that's where the famous cross came from......
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

somme1916 wrote: Calverley was either Carvery or Carverly in me brother's vocab ! Bet he even thought that's where the famous cross came from...... That reminds me of a genuine tale from when I was at school. The Winter Olympics were being held in Calgary (Canada), but there was a lad in our class who was convinced they were taking place just past Rodley on the far side of the Ring Road...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

"He lives dahn t'navvi " - round here that means he lives besides the railway cutting.

book

Post by book »

We knew the canal as a navi
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

book wrote: We knew the canal as a navi Dahn 't'navvi is actually Falls Lane railway cutting/navigation-hence railway workers being called navvies(navigators)....East Ardsley had one of the biggest rail sidings in the country until late 60's when it was shut.Ernie Wise was allegedly born or brought up in Railway Terrace opposite the pub of the same name.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

somme1916 wrote: book wrote: We knew the canal as a navi Dahn 't'navvi is actually Falls Lane railway cutting/navigation-hence railway workers being called navvies(navigators)....East Ardsley had one of the biggest rail sidings in the country until late 60's when it was shut.Ernie Wise was allegedly born or brought up in Railway Terrace opposite the pub of the same name. We used to call it the navvi too, in fact I still call the Trent & Mersey it as well. ie... "I'm just of forra ride up t'navvi luv, sharnt be long" My missus doesn't know what the hell I'm going on about sometimes.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Chrism wrote: somme1916 wrote: book wrote: We knew the canal as a navi Dahn 't'navvi is actually Falls Lane railway cutting/navigation-hence railway workers being called navvies(navigators)....East Ardsley had one of the biggest rail sidings in the country until late 60's when it was shut.Ernie Wise was allegedly born or brought up in Railway Terrace opposite the pub of the same name. We used to call it the navvi too, in fact I still call the Trent & Mersey it as well. ie... "I'm just of forra ride up t'navvi luv, sharnt be long" My missus doesn't know what the hell I'm going on about sometimes. Interesting idea of the "dual" ambiguity of the term (navvi).Check out IMDB 2001 "The Navigators" film by Ken Loach.As well as being blackly comical,it's quite poignant too.Guess where you were brought up/raised had some bearing on an individual's take on the word !

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

I believe the original name "navvies" was coined to decscribe the Irish that came over to dig the canals, which was before the railways were started. An old, late, friend of mine, a Leeds bloke called Frank Walker wrote a great book, published back in the 70's called The Navvies are Coming. It was fictional but was about the building of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and contained accurate descriptions of the men, the work and what the locals thought about them.
The longer we live the older we get

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

billyI've heard that too.The Canals coined the term (often derogatory) 'navvies' - canals were known as "inland navigations".Aire & Calder Navigation etc, and so the bands of travelling workers who built them were known as Navigators, shortened to Navvies.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The workers who built the impressive Ribblehead Viaduct (on the Settle & Carlisle line) were known as 'navvies'. They lived next to the site in a shanty type place known as Sebastapol. Very many died during the construction and are buried at the Chapel-le-Dale church. I think that is all correct, but I'm relying on what I think I know and not on what I've just read!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.