2 Fleet streets in city centre ???

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

On Leodis there is a reference to duncan st being originally called fleet street img ref 2002610_23835391 of all the ducan st pic this is the only one with this reference. I am aware of the fleet street (that was) parallel to the shambles. I am curious was the street moved took or took its name from here or is it a mistake on leodis ??? many thanks    

polo

Post by polo »

Apologies if this has been covered or if it is a daft question.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Hi polo, and welcome to the Secret Leeds forum, although I noted from your first post that you've been lurking for a while!There is no such thing as a daft question here - the most obscure of questions or observations often generate a lengthy and fascinating debate, and if you don't get an immediate reply, there may be someone researching an answer in the background who will reply at a later time.I don't know the answer to this one myself but have seen some interesting questions from you this morning (I can't join in much at the moment as I'm at work) - keep them coming!         

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

polo wrote: On Leodis there is a reference to duncan st being originally called fleet street img ref 2002610_23835391 of all the ducan st pic this is the only one with this reference. I am aware of the fleet street (that was) parallel to the shambles. I am curious was the street moved took or took its name from here or is it a mistake on leodis ??? many thanks     Hello Polo,glad to see you are posting.There are no daft questions on this site,you would be surprised what comes of posting some of the most obscure queries can lead to.I seem to remember somewhere on the "Skulls" thread that Duncan Street was simply a collection of buildings before it was knocked through from Briggate/Boar Lane to the Calls,we need the map masters to come along and have a look,come on boys and girls!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

polo wrote: On Leodis there is a reference to duncan st being originally called fleet street img ref 2002610_23835391 of all the ducan st pic this is the only one with this reference. I am aware of the fleet street (that was) parallel to the shambles. I am curious was the street moved took or took its name from here or is it a mistake on leodis ??? many thanks     This 1850s map (click on the red cross to view) shows the Fleet Street which you mention (at the top of the map) and Duncan Street at the bottom. I can't get an earlier map than 1850 online, but someone else might be able to help.
Attachments
__TFMF_0bte1k45qdynri23w50ywu55_bf6aab4d-c6dd-4a1c-901d-51f8c64a5bf8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0bte1k45qdynri23w50ywu55_bf6aab4d-c6dd-4a1c-901d-51f8c64a5bf8_0_main.jpg (358.84 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

liits

Post by liits »

If, as the Leodis caption states, it was changed as the result of the 1797 battle by Admiral Duncan, it had been changed from Fleet Street to Duncan Street sometime between that date and 1823.The1823 Baines Directory for Leeds mention only one Fleet Street, and that is the one on Tasa’s map.The 1798 Direcotry mentions FLeet Market and with two exceptions, those listed are all Butchers. I'm guessing that Fleet Market with loads of Butchers and Fleet Street [Shambles] are the same place.    

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi polo,On this site, in 1853, both streets are named:http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... htmlDuncan Street is shown as next to 151 Briggate and Fleet Street is shown as next to 131 Briggate.Boar Lane is shown as next to 32 Briggate. I have an Austick's Tellway street guide, from 1968, and Boar Lane is shown at 33 Briggate and Duncan Street at 150 Briggate. Kirkgate is shown at 126 Briggate and Turks Head Yard (Whitelocks) is shown as at 51 Briggate. Commercial Street is shown at 53 Briggate and Queen Victoria Street at 104 Briggate.These numbers don't seem to make sense to me and Briggate must have an unusual numbering system, possibly by numbers being allocated in a clockwise manner around both sides of the street. However, the streets off Briggate, which I have referred to, correspond with the numbers on the Genuki site.I hope that this helps.Ian    

liits

Post by liits »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi polo,On this site, in 1853, both streets are named:http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... htmlDuncan Street is shown as next to 151 Briggate and Fleet Street is shown as next to 131 Briggate.Boar Lane is shown as next to 32 Briggate. I have an Austick's Tellway street guide, from 1968, and Boar Lane is shown at 33 Briggate and Duncan Street at 150 Briggate. Kirkgate is shown at 126 Briggate and Turks Head Yard (Whitelocks) is shown as at 51 Briggate. Commercial Street is shown at 53 Briggate and Queen Victoria Street at 104 Briggate.These numbers don't seem to make sense to me and Briggate must have an unusual numbering system, possibly by numbers being allocated in a clockwise manner around both sides of the street. However, the streets off Briggate, which I have referred to, correspond with the numbers on the Genuki site.I hope that this helps.Ian     Briggate was numbered sequentialy, not odd- even. I don't know if it's still the same but it was like this up until the 50's.

polo

Post by polo »

Thanks for that people. So in short there were two fleet streets just not existing at the same time? Still wonder if there was a connection though.

liits

Post by liits »

I remember reading that meaning of Fleet [except the one in London, named after the river Fleet or where it pertains to anything Naval] meant a short-cut .