M606 Horse seen on the hard shoulder

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
plumberyorkshire

Post by plumberyorkshire »

did anyone see that horse on the hard shoulder last night around 8ish

plumberyorkshire

just seen the articleA deer running loose on the M62 caused a traffic hazard earlier.The deer was reported to be running on both the east and west bound carriageways of the motorway, between the Brighouse turn-off at J25 and the slip road to the M606 link road to Bradford.Matrix signs were set at 40mph to slow down traffic and motorists were being warned to approach the area with care.It was reported at 10.50am that the deer had died and had been cleared from the road.

tilly

Post by tilly »

That would not have been a Roe Deer it was a Road Deer. He. He.Its the way i tell em.P S It did not have a red nose did it?    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I live quite close to the M606. It's semi-rural, but there's a large estate nearby where a lot of people with "travelling" connections live.Sad to say, many of them cannot be classed as responsible horse owners, and loose horses are a common hazard on local roads. Easy access to the M606 via the Euroway Industrial Estate.Now, I'm not casting any aspersions here, but there does seem to be a connection between the huge recent increases in metal theft, and the number of horse-drawn carts causing chaos on the roads. Of course, it could be merely coincidence.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

plumberyorkshire

I've just read this Police get tough on ‘irresponsible’ owners who leave animals loose10:00am Thursday 29th December 2011By Steve Wright »Police have warned they will get tough with owners who let their animals stray after an horrific motorway accident which killed two horses and injured a motorist.The horses got out of a field close to the M606, on the outskirts of Bradford, and onto the motorway, where they were struck by a Mercedes Vito van.The driver suffered minor injuries in the accident, but one horse was killed instantly and the other was put down by a vet after being seriously injured.Last month, Bradford South Police mounted a crackdown on irresponsible horse owners who leave their horses loose or illegally tethered.The owners of the animals involved in Tuesday evening’s accident will be reported for summons and could be fined at court.Inspector Pam Mills, who leads the Tong and Wyke Neighbourhood Policing Team, said yesterday: “The incident on the M606 carriageway last night resulted in the death of two horses and an injury to a male driver, who struck the animals.“I cannot stress how important it is to ensure that any animals are appropriately tethered or kept within a secure fenced area.“Owners whose animals are not kept in a secure environment, and pose a danger to the public, will be dealt with positively and will be reported for summons to court.”Police were alerted just before 5.30pm on Tuesday and the motorway was closed for about two hours from the Chain Bar roundabout while the accident was dealt with.The horses had escaped from a field off Rockhill Lane, near to the Staithgate roundabout.Dianne French, of Roleystone Horse Sanctuary at Wrose, has warned the number of abandoned horses has grown to crisis levels. She said yesterday: “It’s terrible, and the driver has been lucky not to have been more seriously hurt. People must make sure their fences are secure, it is their responsibility.”Police pledged: “Loose horses cause a serious danger to other people. We will deal positively with owners.”Just two weeks before Christmas, officers from the Tong and Wyke NPT impounded a horse found loose on the road, removed nine horses from Danehill Park, issued three warning notices for horses tethered to railings, and removed a number of the animals from a churchyard in Vulcan Street.Owners can get advice from Horsewatch, at westyorkshire.police.uk/horsewatch.