A Leeds business name bites the dust

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I see John Peters has gone into receivership. Although I understand it has been nothing to do with the Cussins family for many years, it was a name coined by Manny Cussins after the first names of his two sons
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

drapesy wrote: I see John Peters has gone into receivership. Although I understand it has been nothing to do with the Cussins family for many years, it was a name coined by Manny Cussins after the first names of his two sons Presumabley this is the rejuvenated company using the same trading name drapesy, I'm sure I remember the original business going into administration around the time I was searching for a new table a few years ago.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

We bought our first suite at John Peters in the 1960's Wasn't it on the corner of Lands Lane, the old Scala cinema?    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Johnny39 wrote: We bought our first suite at John Peters in the 1960's Wasn't it on the corner of Lands Lane, the old Scala cinema?     Yes I think it was. We bought a combined unit of single, double wardrobe and a dressing table, I think it was Schreiber. Again in the late sixties - early seventies.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

majorhoundii wrote:Johnny39 wrote: We bought our first suite at John Peters in the 1960's Wasn't it on the corner of Lands Lane, the old Scala cinema?     Yes I think it was. We bought a combined unit of single, double wardrobe and a dressing table, I think it was Schreiber. Again in the late sixties - early seventies.

Well John Peters was certainly on the site of the Scala Cinema and Ballroom but the Scala was not on the corner unless my memory is wrong.
I also bought a Schreiber double wardrobe from there and they sent me up to the stock room on the top floor in the original lift and when I looked around there was the silver ball in the ceiling and the kiosk where they used to serve soft drinks. It brought back happy memories of Saturday nights.