Pudsey

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
plumberyorkshire

Post by plumberyorkshire »

Where did the name Pudsey come from ?Also why is the train station called New Pudsey ?

weenie

Post by weenie »

Pudsey was mentioned in the doomsday book, other than that i dont know why its called pudsey, as for the station being called New Pudsey, i believe it was because Pudsey had 2 railway stations and they both closed and was made New Pudsey railway station but not sure lol that is my theory anyway

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There were other Pudsey stations prior to Dr Beeching, actually much nearer to Pudsey - the station that is "New Pudsey" is where most people would actually refer to as Stanningley.More here: http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co ... 20Loop.htm
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

plumberyorkshire

Post by plumberyorkshire »

this is true hence this is where Stanningley bypass is

Si

Post by Si »

From the Penguin Dictionary of British Place Names:"Pudsey (town, Leeds): 'Prudoc's enclosure'. OE haeg, 'enclosure' (related to modern English hedge). The first part of the name could also represent OE puduc, 'wart', as the name of a local hill, giving a sense 'enclosure by The Wart'. DB Podechesaie."

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

weenie wrote: Pudsey was mentioned in the doomsday book, other than that i dont know why its called pudsey, as for the station being called New Pudsey, i believe it was because Pudsey had 2 railway stations and they both closed and was made New Pudsey railway station but not sure lol that is my theory anyway Pudsey actually had 3 stations; Greenside and Lowtown on the loop from Cutlers Junction at Laisterdyke to Bramley, and Stanningley on the direct Leeds-Bradford Great Northern Line. The loop line was sadly closed under Beeching, while Stanningley closed at the time New Pudsey was built as a park and ride station.Now, purists may say that Stanningley isn't technically Pudsey, and I don't know at what stage Pudsey expanded to encompass it. I know that Pudsey absorbed Calverley Urban District Council in 1923 or thereabouts, so probably Stanningley from the same date. The Leeds city boundary was just around the corner if one turned right at the bottom of Richardshaw Lane. Perhaps Stanningley's main claim to transport fame is that it was there that the Leeds and Bradford tramways with their incompatible rail gauges met, thus preventing through running, except for a short period of cars being fitted with telescopic axles.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.