Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yeah Farbank, heard that Park Square was so called as there was a Park there in medieval times. Briggate of course Bridge Gate, interesting about the Ranyells though didnt know that one. Wonder also about Kingsmead near Seacroft. Monkswood I assume to do with the Monks in and around the Manor of Roundhay

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

LS1 wrote: Yeah Farbank, heard that Park Square was so called as there was a Park there in medieval times. Briggate of course Bridge Gate, interesting about the Ranyells though didnt know that one. Wonder also about Kingsmead near Seacroft. Monkswood I assume to do with the Monks in and around the Manor of Roundhay the monks of kirkstall would walk the seven miles of what was then wild moor,to mine iron ore at monkswood,lower down the vein are streets called the ironwoods.the stream feeding the pond near the asda still runs blood red with iron deposits.leading up there you have foundry laneand various other foundrys and foundry mills,but who was brander or amberton,or even hetton??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

Ian R P wrote: Hi,When I was at college we did a history of Briggate The area where Briggate meets the river at Leeds Bridge is where the original medieval settlement was.We were told that the streets around were named after the particular types of animal left grazing in them. ie Swinegate, Boar Lane and The Calls. The first two are obvious, but it was said that the calls came from 'cows' and over the years has mutated into calls. Dunno what you think of that. could be as in the Victorian era there was a Cow Lane just off the Calls behind the parish Church, also in old documents the Calls is spelt the Cailsjimbo

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

sarah_orange wrote: I just realised this should probably be moved to the 'names' section which for some reason I didn't notice when I started it.was just pootling around on leodis, as you do, and I came across this, which you all probably know but I didn't:"The section of the Headrow, off camera left* was formerly known as Guildford Street and the section in front of Lewis's, right, was known as Upperhead Row. A competition was held by the Yorkshire Evening Post to rename the street in 1929. The name chosen for the considerably widened road was 'The Headrows'. By the time Lewis's opened the 'S' had been dropped and this main thoroughfare, running from the Town Hall at the west end to Mabgate Circus at the east end, became known simply as the Headrow."*the picture is of the lewis' building during construction so off camera left would be the section from dortmund square to albion street I assume (poss a bit further to the guildford pub now I think of it)I'd just assumed that the headrow was an old name like eastgate and briggate. the bit of the Headrow from Parkrow to the Town Hall was originally Park Lane, the open space in front of the Library and Art Gallery is Victoria Square ( the statue in Hyde Park once in City Square then stood where the cenetaph now is ), Dortmund Square was originally Lydgate Hill then became part of Woodhouse Lane before St Johns was built, the Head Rows were originally Upper Headrow and Nether ( Lower ) HeadrowJimbo

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

LS1 wrote: Pitfall Street was so called becuse of the mills that stood there once, Pitfall Mill I think it was called strangely enough, and from what I can deduce I think it was a flour or corn mill. you might find it was a Water Mill which pumped the stuff up Briggatejimbo

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jimbo5553 wrote: LS1 wrote: Pitfall Street was so called becuse of the mills that stood there once, Pitfall Mill I think it was called strangely enough, and from what I can deduce I think it was a flour or corn mill. you might find it was a Water Mill which pumped the stuff up Briggatejimbo According to the various maps I have it was quoted as being a Corn Mill. Could haev changed over the years though.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

You will often find that some street names are the names of the architecs or designers of the area, as in the case of Salmon Crescent in Horsforth, Salmon is the surname of the bloke who designed most of Horsforth for Lord Stanhope. Who himself is immortalised in Stanhope Drive and Stanhope Avenue and of course the Stanhope public house, all in Horsforth!
Love a Landrover

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jimbo5553 wrote: sarah_orange wrote: I just realised this should probably be moved to the 'names' section which for some reason I didn't notice when I started it.was just pootling around on leodis, as you do, and I came across this, which you all probably know but I didn't:"The section of the Headrow, off camera left* was formerly known as Guildford Street and the section in front of Lewis's, right, was known as Upperhead Row. A competition was held by the Yorkshire Evening Post to rename the street in 1929. The name chosen for the considerably widened road was 'The Headrows'. By the time Lewis's opened the 'S' had been dropped and this main thoroughfare, running from the Town Hall at the west end to Mabgate Circus at the east end, became known simply as the Headrow."*the picture is of the lewis' building during construction so off camera left would be the section from dortmund square to albion street I assume (poss a bit further to the guildford pub now I think of it)I'd just assumed that the headrow was an old name like eastgate and briggate. the bit of the Headrow from Parkrow to the Town Hall was originally Park Lane, the open space in front of the Library and Art Gallery is Victoria Square ( the statue in Hyde Park once in City Square then stood where the cenetaph now is ), Dortmund Square was originally Lydgate Hill then became part of Woodhouse Lane before St Johns was built, the Head Rows were originally Upper Headrow and Nether ( Lower ) HeadrowJimbo Jimbo, I take it you mean the cenotaph now in Victoria Square was in city square at one point. It was just outside where Majestyk is/ was.Also I was not aware that Woodhouse Lane was Lydgate Hill. Oldish maps note it as always being the convergance of Woodhouse Lane and Wade Lane. There is a Ludgate Hill. This is near the market part of the continuation of George Street toward Vicar Lane.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

On Tong Road, near the reservoir, there's Pipe and Nook Lane. Any ideas on this one?

farbank

Post by farbank »

The corn mill down Lower Briggate, by Leeds bridge, was called the Kings Mill. If you stand facing up Briggate, to the left, over the parapet, and on the opp.side. The stone with 'Kings Mill', above the waterline, marks the mill site.Apparently you couldn't choose where you had your corn ground. It had to be at the 'Kings' mill, so the tax could be levied.!