Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Not a street name but I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the name Nanny Bridge. It is the name for where a small stream passes under King Lane near to The Avenue in Alwoodley. It is called Nanny Bridge on an 1851 map. I have googled Nanny Bridge but found nothing.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Marty wrote: Can anyone tell me the origin of the name "Farrar Lane"? Does it have something to do with a farrier (a shoer of horses) having had his shop there? Thank you. I'd have to scour Don Cole's fine histories to tell you correctly, but I don't think it was a Farrier because down the otley old road from Tinshill top where farrer lane runs is the cookridge "Smithy" and the smithy itself and smithy lane still stand - so that's where the farrier was. If I am not mistaken Farrer was an incumbent farmer at the High Farm

Marty

Post by Marty »

The Parksider wrote: Marty wrote: Can anyone tell me the origin of the name "Farrar Lane"? Does it have something to do with a farrier (a shoer of horses) having had his shop there? Thank you. I'd have to scour Don Cole's fine histories to tell you correctly, but I don't think it was a Farrier because down the otley old road from Tinshill top where farrer lane runs is the cookridge "Smithy" and the smithy itself and smithy lane still stand - so that's where the farrier was. If I am not mistaken Farrer was an incumbent farmer at the High Farm Thanks "The Parksider" for this information. If you happen to find out more, I'm here!    
M. A. Sarmat

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Leodian wrote: Not a street name but I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the name Nanny Bridge. It is the name for where a small stream passes under King Lane near to The Avenue in Alwoodley. It is called Nanny Bridge on an 1851 map. I have googled Nanny Bridge but found nothing. I would immediately think it had something to do with goats. I know there was not a lot there before the buckstones were built, and along those hills down to AllertonHigh School on the left as you head into Leeds used to be a golf course (hence the Wentworth's Turnberry's etc.) I think it was Moor Allerton that then relocated to Scarcroft in the 70s when the estate was built. Also on that hill were a lot of caravans and prefab houses in the 20's and 30's as people used it as a holiday home area to escape to at the weekends, and If I remember correctly there was a farm near to Alwoodley Cragg that stretched quite far down - perhaps to this bridge but I am not 100% sure.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote: Leodian wrote: Not a street name but I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the name Nanny Bridge. It is the name for where a small stream passes under King Lane near to The Avenue in Alwoodley. It is called Nanny Bridge on an 1851 map. I have googled Nanny Bridge but found nothing. I would immediately think it had something to do with goats. I know there was not a lot there before the buckstones were built, and along those hills down to AllertonHigh School on the left as you head into Leeds used to be a golf course (hence the Wentworth's Turnberry's etc.) I think it was Moor Allerton that then relocated to Scarcroft in the 70s when the estate was built. Also on that hill were a lot of caravans and prefab houses in the 20's and 30's as people used it as a holiday home area to escape to at the weekends, and If I remember correctly there was a farm near to Alwoodley Cragg that stretched quite far down - perhaps to this bridge but I am not 100% sure. Thanks for your reply LS1. I don't know if nanny was used in 1851 as a word for goats but it does seem a possible suggestion for the bridge name. Interestingly the 1851 map shows there was a pinfold at the bridge on the left (coming out of Leeds). As a pinfold is a small enclosure for livestock (particularly sheep and cattle) then perhaps there could have been goats kept around there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Thanks for the Pinfold explanation Leodian.Have wondered about that forsome time,seems to be a Pinfold Lane in everytown you pass through.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Lodgey

Post by Lodgey »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. My wife was brought up on Salisbury Road less than 100 yards from Lamb Hill opposite the Sammy Leggard Garage. The things I remember, from the late sixties early seventies, when I first met my wife was the tyre garage at the bottom of Lamb Hill and the horrible smell of the Yeast Vite factory I am desperately trying to find information on Lamb Hill - it was my Grandad that owned the tyre garage 'Lodge & Bland' I would love to be able to find out exactly where it was. The road structure and land has all changed so much.....

weenie

Post by weenie »

as you see from my post Lamb Hill was down what is now Ledgard Way, where the car park is for what use to be Living World, now Clothing World, i'm pretty sure it was there was the tyre place.?My mum says her house was where the bus stop is now, and the houses joined on to the other houses just a bit further on. Weenie

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Another easy way to recall where Lamb Hill was - imagine you're going up Armley Road with Sammy Ledgard's Nelson Inn on your right (just before the bend at Branch Road bottom). The Nelson has recently become an Indian restaurant called JAIPUR. Joined on to the Nelson was the front of Ledgard's offices and top depot and next to those was a short row of shops, at the end of which was a sharp right turn into the steep Lamb Hill. As you nowadays go down the new right turn which is Ledgard Way, look up the grass slope on the left and you can see the remains of Ledgard's main depot (roof top yard) and that will give you the line of Lamb Hill.That dreadful yeast smell remains with me to this day !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Lodgey wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: weenie wrote: Does any one remember Lamb hill in Armley? me mam says she used to live there wi me sisters before i was born nr Ledgard Way. My wife was brought up on Salisbury Road less than 100 yards from Lamb Hill opposite the Sammy Leggard Garage. The things I remember, from the late sixties early seventies, when I first met my wife was the tyre garage at the bottom of Lamb Hill and the horrible smell of the Yeast Vite factory I am desperately trying to find information on Lamb Hill - it was my Grandad that owned the tyre garage 'Lodge & Bland' I would love to be able to find out exactly where it was. The road structure and land has all changed so much..... It's years since I visited the area so I don't think I can be of much help as I dont know the area. Ledgards Way means nothing to me.