Rename Leeds and Bradford Airport

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

A topic of discussion by ex Loiners in tonight's session at a local taverna in Peyia, Cyprus was renaming airports. Airports mentioned were: John Lennon, Kennedy, John Wayne to name but a few. What would you rename Leeds and Bradford Airport and why? Names I have come up with are: JB Priestley, Sir Len Hutton, Jimmy Savile and my nomination: Joshua Tetley. The bitter may not be what it was, but for me, and many of my contempories, Tetleys bitter was Leeds.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I shall give some thought on a new name. I still however call it Yeadon Airport, but I accept that is not international enough a name! Interestingly I thought its official name was Leeds and Bradford International Airport, which initialises to LABIA and is thus an unfortunate acronym that I've long thought is a bit suggestive! I've just found out however that its official name (at least now) is Leeds Bradford International Airport (LBIA).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The internationally recognised 3 digit acronym is LBA . Despite not being of an artistic bent I'd go for Alan Bennet Airport (pity he was named Lionel or Lenoard ) From my science background I'd probably go fir olde Cuthby of the Broderick variety. Though not a Leodian his influences are still a substantial part of the Leeds I know (and that is not including the Wetherspoons that now bears his name)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Can't see the folk of 'Bratfert' being happy with these Leeds-centric suggestions!I'd nominate Hedley Verity. Born Headingley, yes, but lived in Rawdon.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Yeadon-cum-Brammup Aerodrome

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Leeds & Wheredidyousay Airport
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

"Ladies and gentlemen we will shortly be landing at Leeds-Bradfrod Airport where the local time is 17.15 and 1984 respectively."

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of the 'Leeds International Airport' the following link will bring up an hilarious Yorkshire Airlines video sketch by Hale and Pace. It should bring lots of chuckles to your face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKyP7Wja7qQApologies that this is not a post about a name suggestion but I thought it would be a good thread to mention the video for anyone that has never seen it and a reminder for those who have. Enjoy it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Just my opinion, but I couldn't agree with Joshua Tetley Airport, not after what Carlsberg have done.John Charles Airport was a name suggested a few years ago, although now that the local authorities no longer own it, why not just call it Leeds Airport?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jim

Post by jim »

Funny, like Leodian I still think of it as Yeadon Airport, and have always done so. Can't see a good reason to change and end up in the same flavour of the month situation we see in front of the Civic Hall.