Rename Leeds and Bradford Airport

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Leeds Yeadon airport could be named after a local hero. Someone whose name is known throughout the UK. So what about...."Sir James Saville O.B.E. Airport." I was once asked to pick up someone from Belgium from Yeadon. He'd asked if there was a railway link! It was difficult to explain that, no there isn't and the bus takes ages. To put this in context, Oslo airport is 30 miles from Oslo and has a High speed rail link! Bring back the Soldiers Fields airport.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I think he's actually Sir Jimmy.I used to admire him.Then I met him.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I always call it Yeadon. I don't see what's wrong with that TBH. Heathrow is not exactly a major metropolis, neither are Gatwick and Stanstead. Perhaps or more regional name (like East Midlands) would be suitable - West Yorkshire say.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

IIRC correctly Croydon Aerodrome became London Airport and Heathrow is London Heathrow.    

simong

Post by simong »

£20 Taxi Ride From Leeds or Bradford Airport

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

In light of current events "darn sarf" should we rename it Leeds Bradford Still Open Airport? I've noticed a couple of "big" planes heading Yeadon way today (they seemed notably larger than the usual fare of 737's) - anyone know if flights are being diverted there, or if these are regular flights and I'm imagining things?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell