Scott Hall

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Why is Scott Hall so named? I suppose it could have been something simple such as someone named Scott had a large home or farm in the area. But who was this person if so?

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I know that the building known as Scott Hall was sited south of Potternewton Lane and it was demolished when they began quarrying in the area. So I would assume that maybe some form of gentry lived there called Scott ?Regards.    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

This seems to be the bestleodis can offer.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLOpen archives compliant siteSupported by BIG Lottery FundScott Hall, Scott Hall Street    Scott Hall, Scott Hall StreetDescription:25th November 1948. View shows the front of Scott Hall, a large mid eighteenth century house, built in brown hand-made bricks, with an outbuilding on the left. This is a rare example of the type of plain house built by Leeds merchants during that period and it is now Grade II listed. The central entrance was altered in the twentieth century. The property is located off Scott Hall Street but the original Scott Hall was sited in Potternewton, south of Potternewton Lane near where Scott Hall Place is now. This had been the home of the Scott family with ancestral roots in Scotland. Gilbert Scott, who died in 1542 was Lord of the Manor of Potternewton. The last of the line was William Scott, a farmer. After he died the Hall was demolished and extensive quarrying was carried out on the site. The stone was used to construct many Leeds buildings. When the quarries were worked out, they were filled in and a large part of the area is now the Prince Philip Playing Fields. When the A61 road was laid through in the 1930s, it was named Scott Hall Road as a reminder of the former land use. The Scott Hall in the photograph is still standing and has recently been for advertised for sale.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Thanks dogduke.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

[quotenick="dogduke"]This seems to be the bestleodis can offer.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI dont think the some of the comments are on Leodis are correct. The hill on the top right hand side of the picture IS Sugarwell Hill but I think the houses are Potternewton Crescent.The person making the comments is going back a long time.'Mrs Creeks shop' - I remember the row of cottages and Mrs Creek. The shop was her front room. Her daughter Evelyn was my mother's best friend from childhood. Evelyn married Harry Umpelby in the late 40s. Sadly both have now passed away, and my mum and dad.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I jokingly refer to it as Terry Road because many years back Scott Hall Road made me think of Terry Scott (the late comedy actor) and Terry Hall (the late ventriloquist of Lenny the Lion fame).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Poundcoin

Post by Poundcoin »

And for those with £400k to spare, it's up for sale....http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

dogduke wrote: This seems to be the bestleodis can offer.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL A brilliant photo. Today the house stands in the Middle of a wood and undulating old quarry wasteground, i wondered why, but obviously looking at the photo it was built in a "country valley" of fields and agricultutal activity and the fine setting has somewhat changed significantly.Further down the track you access the house to there's a fine stone built barn possibly for the horses that hauled the quarried stone.It's beautiful old house but would anyone live in the middle of a wood in the middle of an industrial wasteland.......

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Poundcoin wrote: And for those with £400k to spare, it's up for sale....http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true was going to drop a note to Santa to ask for this but, can't find Lewis's any more     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I see the property has been reduced in price for a quick sale! I like the note "The property has sustained some fire damage and is in need of renovation to return it to its former glory...Please note the access to the property is difficult and we would recommend that you wear hard hats, bring a torch and wear suitable footwear...PLEASE NOTE: THE PROPERTY OFTEN HAS GUARD DOGS ROAMING FREE ON THE LAND FOR SECURITY".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.