Dorothy Towers

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Does anyone have information on one "Dorothy Towers" of Armley (probably) who in July, 1943, made a wartime trip to London with Winifred Armitage (see thread "Siblings Winifred, Ken, Laurie Armitage") and visited with a friend called Joan who lived in Chingford? These are all names mentioned in found letters and are a lead to finding Rifleman Lawrence A. Armitage of The london Irish Rifles. Thanks for sending any clue, however small.
M. A. Sarmat

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

it's a long shot but look at this entry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Th ... orian)note her maiden name.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Marty

Post by Marty »

Steve Jones wrote: it's a long shot but look at this entry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Th ... orian)note her maiden name. Thanks Steve, but she's too old!! Would have been exciting if it had been her!! I figure Dorothy would have been about 22 or 23 years old in 1943. Thanks for the response.    M.
M. A. Sarmat

Marty

Post by Marty »

Steve Jones wrote: it's a long shot but look at this entry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Th ... orian)note her maiden name. Oh my Goodness, Steve! I was being very obtuse!! I didn't see the OTHER Dorothy Thompsons and just read the first that came up. You're right - she could be a possibility, the age is right though it gives no birth place - and it loooks like she is even alive. I will work on getting in touch with the daughter who is a writer. It IS a long shot, but who cares, eh? (my Canadianism showing) I'm goling for it! Thanks so much!! However did you know this fact?M.
M. A. Sarmat

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I googled Dorthy towers and noted the correspondences with what you had put Marty,as I said it might be a long shot but the areas seemed to fit.

Marty

Post by Marty »

Hi Steve, I was able to find an email address for the daughter of Dorothy Towers Thompson who, if you noticed, is a famous childrens' book writer, Kate Thompson. I explained to her my research and need for information from anyone who knew Winifred and in turn may lead me to information about Winnie's brother Laurie. As of this hour I have had no reply but am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again. I'll keep you "posted" here on my progress.
M. A. Sarmat

Marty

Post by Marty »

Steve Jones wrote: I googled Dorthy towers and noted the correspondences with what you had put Marty,as I said it might be a long shot but the areas seemed to fit. Hi Steve,Well . . . I am happy to report that I received a very delightful reply from "THE" Dorothy Towers Thompson, but unhappily she is NOT the one I am looking for, though she did remark how amazing that another Dorothy Towers was enjoying London in 1943 as she herself was! What an amazing woman she is at 86. I am very pleased that you supplied me with her identity - amazing this Internet business, eh? You may be interested in the article I was involved with at Yep at this site: www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/.../Lett ... 6141348.jp and why I am looking to every lead possible. Thanks.
M. A. Sarmat

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Pity it was the wrong Dorothy Marty.I had already seen the article thanks.

Marty

Post by Marty »

Hi Steve,Just a note to tell you Dorothy Towers Thompson passed away in January this year. I had written to her for some more information only to discover of her demise on Google. Watch out for a further story soon from Neil Hudson of the YEP who will write of the successful finding of the soldier I was looking for. Thank you for your help and interest that lead me to an interesting correspondence with the famous Dorothy Thompson.
M. A. Sarmat

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks Marty,and I am glad I helped start an interesting but short correspondence.Secret Leeds is all about making new friends and contacts.