Peter Maturi

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Before they had a posh shop on Vicar Lane, I remember Maturis coming round in the fifties and sharpening the knives at the various butchers and fishmongers shops in Morley and presumably everywhere else in the Leeds district. They had a green van with the shapening wheels etc inside and it made a loud noise. I know this has been posted elsewhere, but I came upon a curious connection this afternoon.The film "The Robe" was on Channel 4 and one of its stars was Victor Mature. I decided to look him up on IMdb."American leading man. Born Victor John Mature (to knife sharpener Marcellus George Mature, born Marcello Gelindo Maturi in Pinzolo, Trentino, and a Swiss-American mother"http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001514/bioI wonder if there's a connection?
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: Before they had a posh shop on Vicar Lane, I remember Maturis coming round in the fifties and sharpening the knives at the various butchers and fishmongers shops in Morley and presumably everywhere else in the Leeds district. They had a green van with the shapening wheels etc inside and it made a loud noise. I know this has been posted elsewhere, but I came upon a curious connection this afternoon.The film "The Robe" was on Channel 4 and one of its stars was Victor Mature. I decided to look him up on IMdb."American leading man. Born Victor John Mature (to knife sharpener Marcellus George Mature, born Marcello Gelindo Maturi in Pinzolo, Trentino, and a Swiss-American mother"http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001514/bioI wonder if there's a connection? Before they had a posh (and rather abrieviated) shop in Vicar Lane, they had one in King Edward Street with stock including a large range of quality craftsman's tool for many trades and an extesive selection of locks, bolts and what have you.Clearly the market for such things fell apart with the arival of cheaper outlets. Got a 3lb lump hammer from there for 7/6 in the late 60's/early 70's!    

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

When I became an apprentice fitter when I left school in 1961 the insurance my parents took out for me as a youngtser was spent at Maturi's on tools. I still hove most of them today.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I can remember a van offering knife sharpening, etc visiting Dib Lane occasionally in the early '80's, parking up outside the shops for the day for people to take their knives to.I'm sure it was the Maturi one, but my memory could be playing tricks on me.I suppose the demand for knife sharpening has all but gone nowadays with most people simply throwing knives away and replacing them when they go dull, given the low cost (comparatively) of buying new. Plus can you imaging wandering the street with a bag full of knives for sharpening nowadays? You'd spend the night in clink trying to explain that one!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Its not just Leeds where there are/were Maturi cutlers. Below is from the 1956 Birmingham Kellys:Maturi A. & Sons Ltd. cutlers, 393 Coventry rd 10 (Victoria 0591); 125 Ladypool rd, 13 (Calthorpe 3319) & 186 Soho rd 21. Northern 7487Maturi Leo & Son, cutlers, 51 & 53 Stafford st 4. Central6831

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

"they had one in King Edward Street"That was a different firm, can't remember the name for now.Before Vicar Ln. Maturi was on Eastgate, LH side going up the hill.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brunel wrote: "they had one in King Edward Street"That was a different firm, can't remember the name for now.Before Vicar Ln. Maturi was on Eastgate, LH side going up the hill. Now reminded, yes they were in Eastgate before Vicar Lane. I believe it was the same firm (at that time anyway) - they held a large relocating sale before the move. Not much on Leodis those this picture of Vicar Lane indicates a 100 year history, seems unlikely there would be two different firms with the same namehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 4_64562625

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

chameleon wrote: Brunel wrote: "they had one in King Edward Street"That was a different firm, can't remember the name for now.Before Vicar Ln. Maturi was on Eastgate, LH side going up the hill. Now reminded, yes they were in Eastgate before Vicar Lane. I believe it was the same firm (at that time anyway) - they held a large relocating sale before the move. Yes now you come to mention it I remember them being on Eastgate.I've had quite a lot to do with Italy in my work in the past and whilst many Italian names seem fairly common, I've never come across a Maturi.
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: chameleon wrote: Brunel wrote: "they had one in King Edward Street"That was a different firm, can't remember the name for now.Before Vicar Ln. Maturi was on Eastgate, LH side going up the hill. Now reminded, yes they were in Eastgate before Vicar Lane. I believe it was the same firm (at that time anyway) - they held a large relocating sale before the move. Yes now you come to mention it I remember them being on Eastgate.I've had quite a lot to do with Italy in my work in the past and whilst many Italian names seem fairly common, I've never come across a Maturi. I'm sure Eastgate was the new home after KES, remember going there when it opened.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Brunel wrote: "they had one in King Edward Street"That was a different firm, can't remember the name for now.Before Vicar Ln. Maturi was on Eastgate, LH side going up the hill. That, I believe, was "Woods" tools. If I am not mistaken they had another shop in the city centre.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.