Knostrop or Knowsthorpe ??

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Daimlergirl wrote: Hi EveryoneI've just been eagerly searching for my gt grandfather's house in the newly released 1911 Census today. (William Thomas Webster b 1857), as yet I can't find it on the 1906 Ordnance Survey maps. Yes, Knowsthorpe House, Hall and old hall are marked with St. Saviours.You can see about three rows of cottages and about six individual houses so I can only surmise in these higgledy piggeldy olde time village layouts where dwellings didn't stradle roads and streets but were set back from the main by way facing different ways that the "address" had to be a name rather than the number/street we have today.Had the map named all the buildings Knowsthorpe would have been swamped in words. Maybe it is in one of the Leeds directories you can look at at the local history library?

angela

Post by angela »

woody wrote: I lived in Cross Green Lane in the 1950s/60s and knew Mr Harry Peas well, he let me park my first car in the big garden shown on the picture in front of Laburnum House. He had a son called Nigel.     I also knew a lady whse single name was, Mable Musfrave. She went to to school with my own mother and lived on the same lane as Mr Peas. Her married name was Clay and they had two sons, Brian and I believe John. They both attended St Hilda's Primary School. Later I played football with the younger of the two boys for St Hilda's open age football team in the Leeds Churches League. Brian, in particular, was very bright and passed his scholarship - I think they both did? Brian's name is inscribed on the roll of honour in St Hilda's Church vestry     HiI am researching our family history. My mother was actually in the childrens home in Knowsthorpe from 1932 until 1939, she has many fond memories about her time there, the house and surrounding gardens, such as the giant rhubarb patch, they played hid and seek in. Also the resident St Bernard dog which they use to ride... she was little.would live to see some photo's of the place when it was a childrens home, can you point me in the right direction.many thanks
angelasheppard

angela

Post by angela »

Looking for anyone who attended St Hilda's in Knowsthorpe between 1935 and 1939, my mother and aunt went to that school their names: Rose Ada Harris and Doris Megan Harristhanks
angelasheppard

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

John Atkinson Grimshaw painted Knostrop Old Hall to critical acclaim in the mid 1800's.I did all our outside windows, front+back plus garage doors. The hall, landing. Upstairs room by room then downstairs. I did the fence and shed a lovely mellow "Autumn Gold".Not so much as 'thank you'.

June

Post by June »

Hi Sandra,I lived in one of the cottages behind the wall from about 1955 to 1960 ish. I was 4 years old when we moved in. They were called Hilltop Cottages, We lived in the cottage that backed onto the row of houses/cottages you refer to. My Mum and Dad knew the Peases and we used to go around there to watch TV before we got one of our own in 1959. Compared to our cottage, they lived in a house! My Mum used to have a patch of garden at the end of the Peases' very long garden. `next to our cottage was a garage used by a fruit and veg man to store his lorry and he used to leave some produce on it overnight. This gave my parents never ending problems with mice! At least, my Mum blamed that lorry! At the other side of our cottage was a wall and just behind that was the Private Lane, the row of houses you refer to had their front doors on the Private Lane. They didn't have a garden at the front of the house, just the unmade lane. At the bottom of the Lane was a smallholding. The Tennyson family had it when I used to play with their daughter, Lesley. They didn't have it as a small holding, but we had a great playground! If your descendant lived in the end house that had a passage underneath our kitchen window, it was their son who took over the care of my rabbit when it grew too big for the cage! That young man had several rabbits and was pleased to have it, I remember him picking it up and staggering around to his garden with it! We had a cold water tap and a geyser (it heated water). I do have some photos of inside and outside the cottage, but they've all got children in them (who will be adults now) and I'm reluctant to put them in a public domain. Our "garden" looked onto the side wall of another house, where a single lady lived. I think she was elderly. Next to that loved the Ingall family. Next to their house was the toilet block (outside toilets with a solid wooden seat that stretched across the width of the toilet room) and next to the two or three toilets (we shared toilets with other families in the yard) and a midden, which is where my Mum and everyone else in the cottages put their rubbish for collection by the Council. In front of the toilets and midden was a concreted area where we could play. The yard itself was available for play, pitching tents, etc, and contained some disused outbuildings that backed on to the road. We were not allowed to use or go into these outbuildings. There were several children who lived in most of the cottages and we all played together. We had some great times! There was some sort of a farm opposite the cottages on the other side of Knowsthorpe Lane. All I can remember was that a goat lived in the field we could see and it had to be kept tied up so it wouldn't roam where it shouldn't. It would also eat anything, whether or not it was edible!I went to St Hilda's Primary School, which was across two roads from where we lived. My Mum had a friend in Knowsthorpe village who lived in a round house. I was fascinated by this. We must have moved in 1959/60. My Sister was born in 1957 and when we moved to Fewston Street to a much better house (it was a back to back house with an outside toilet) my Mum returned to work because she and my dad were buying that house. She took my sister to my Grandma's to be looked after. My sister was walking by then. Our cottage was rented and I think the others were too, I don't know who the Landlord was. There was another arm on the opposite side of the private Lane with a hedge bordering the lane. We had a great den in that hedge!My understanding of names is that officially the village/road was called Knowsthorpe which was shortened colloquially to Knostrop . It could even have been pronounced Knostrop as I heard many adults call it Knostrop Lane. Once I could read, this puzzled me so I asked my Mum and that's what she told me.I hope this is of use to you
June m

beast

Post by beast »

I've lived at East End Park all my life,attended St Hilda's school , and we have always called it Knostrop. I used to walk down Black Rd ( now the M1 link road ) and go fishing at Red Walls,go past a house which would have just being opposite East Leeds Cricket Club The sewage works was on the right hand side along with an army firing range and if I recall correctly a narrow gauge railway.Incidentally, on one of my training runs I run past a ' stately type' home near Newsam Green ,is that Leventhorpe Hall ???

fharding

Re: Knostrop or Knowsthorpe ??

Post by fharding »

Angela, I am trying to trace information of my mother and her twin sister, who were in the care of St saviour's Children's Home from 1934 (estimate), but unsure when they left, but must have been around the start of the war. Their names are Merle and Avril Williams, and are both very much alive and kicking. They refer to their 'guardian' as Mary Rudge, who I have found out a few details, as they both went to her funeral during the 1950's in the Hasting's / Brighton area. They must have held her in high regard and much respect to persuade their uncle to drive them from Mid Wales and back in a day.

Hope you get this,

Fred Harding

BigMelt

Re: Knostrop or Knowsthorpe ??

Post by BigMelt »

I believe the area may have got the Knostrop name from a Bondsman who farmed the area in the 1300's.

His name was Robert Knostrop and I believe that this has influenced the local name for the area over the centuries.