Avenue des Hirondelles, Pool

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Si

Post by Si »

While looking at old maps for the Buttresses on Old Pool Bank Road/Leeds Road thread, I noticed that the lower part of the quarry tramway is now shadowed by a lane called the Avenue des Hirondelles, or Avenue of the Swallows.Does anyone know why it is so called, and why in French?Cheers,Si PS I've just noticed there are two short threads already on SL asking about this lane, but neither have an explanation, or mention of the quarry tramline. Worth another go!        

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

It's very prosaic, Si.The builder was called Swallow, and named it after himself, thinking the French version was classier.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Uno.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Uno Hoo wrote: It's very prosaic, Si.The builder was called Swallow, and named it after himself, thinking the French version was classier. A pompous predecessor to Hyacinth Bucket without a doubt !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

LS16

Post by LS16 »

Back in the mid eighties a friend of mine lived on Ave. Des Hirondelles. I was challenged one night to try to drive out of the TOP end - it was rough and largely grass but we managed it 2 up in an MG Midget! - it came out on Old Pool Bank near Sandy Lobby.
How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb - only one but the bulb has really got to want to change!