Chandos

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Trojan wrote: Newsman wrote: Chandos Park: I played against Roundhay 2nds or 3rds (which North Leeds team didn't I play against in the sixties) but I don't remember playing at Chandos Park, I do remember playing on Soldiers Fields, but I'm not sure if that was Roundhay or Roundhegians. I am sure it was Old Roundhegians that played on Soldiers Field. I played against Roundhay at various levels in the 70s and early 80s and we always played at Chandos Park.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_ChandosSir John Chandos (died 1370) was a medieval English knight.Hailing from Radbourne Hall, Derbyshire, Chandos was a close friend of Edward, the Black Prince and a founding member of the Order of the Garter. Unlike most commanders of the day, Chandos was not of noble birth.As a veteran, Chandos was one of the commanders who led the sixteen-year old Edward's troops to victory at the Battle of Crécy. As Edward's Chief of Staff, he designed the strategy that won victory at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356.On September 29, 1364, Chandos led the forces of Duke John de Montfort to victory at the Battle of Auray, winning the Breton War of Succession and enabling de Montfort to become John V, Duke of Brittany.In reward for his service, Chandos was created the lieutenant of France, the vice-chamberlain of England and was given the viscounty of Saint-Sauveur in Cotentin. During the Hundred Years' War, he became constable of Aquitaine and seneschal of Poitou. Later, however, after disagreeing with Edward over how the Guyennois should be taxed, he retired to his property in Normandy.Of course, the statue of the Black Prince stands in City Square - although I'm sure we've previously discussed the lack of links between him and Leeds as well!The I found this reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafalgar_ ... iltshireIn 1948 the 10th Duke of Leeds acquired Trafalgar Park largely as a tax mitigation arrangement. His son in law, Oliver Lyttleton, became the Duke’s tenant and pursued a political career in the House of Commons before being elevated to the Lords as Viscount Chandos. However, in 1953, the estate had been sold to the neighbouring Longford Castle estate of Viscount Folkestone ( later the 8th Earl of Radnor ) leaving its sitting tenant in the house on rather favourable terms – which led to the house being sold to Oliver Lyttleton with just 10 acres (40,000 m2) of land.The "Leeds" the Dukedom was named for was the Leeds in Yorkshire, and the title did not (as is sometimes claimed) refer to the Leeds or Leeds Castle in Kent.The principal ducal seat was Hornby Castle in Yorkshire.Which again tie in the Chandos name with Leeds, but don't really go anywhere towards explaining why the link exists...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Si

Post by Si »

Nice research, Davey.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Hornby castle is in, um, Lancashire.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: Hornby castle is in, um, Lancashire. Apparently there are two - one in Yorkshire and the other on the wrong side of the hill.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Ahhhh, where's the proper one?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: Ahhhh, where's the proper one? Do I really need to answer that?

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

raveydavey wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Ahhhh, where's the proper one? Do I really need to answer that? Simple. It's the one you arrive at by catching the Hornby train.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Hornby? Pah! Triang surely,

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Cardiarms wrote: Hornby? Pah! Triang surely, Spot On
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.