Chandos

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Trojan wrote: Newsman wrote: Chandos Park: I played against Roundhay 2nds or 3rds (which North Leeds team didn't I play against in the sixties) but I don't remember playing at Chandos Park, I do remember playing on Soldiers Fields, but I'm not sure if that was Roundhay or Roundhegians. Hi Trojan,Roundhay RUFC was formed in 1924 and played at Chandos Park since the 1930's. The junior teams played on school grounds off Lidgett Lane as there was only one pitch at Chandos Park.Old Roundhegians RUFC was formed in 1928 and have played at the Memorial Ground in Chelwood Drive since 1953.I played for other clubs against both these clubs from 1961 until 1977. Occasionally, if pitches were unfit to play on due to ice, or were waterlogged, the junior teams might have played elsewhere. Moortown RUFC used to play Bramley (Old Boys) RUFC every Boxing Day and I played in one of these games at Old Roundhegians RUFC as the Moortown pitch was unfit and Roundhegians were playing away (probably at Old Leos).Soldiers (Military) Field pitches may have been used by both Roundhay and Roundhegians. In the 60's, local rugby clubs like those mentioned, would run as many as a dozen teams including Colts teams (and there was no organised Mini Rugby for children in those days). I have played at Soldiers Field against Leeds Chirons (a Leeds schoolteachers club).Ian    

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

Leeds Chirons played on Soldiers Field from 1925 until 1988. In 1988 they merged with Kitson College rugby club to form Oakwood- they only lasted two seasons.My book Leeds Who? tells the story of Leeds Chirons - available from Philip Howard Books on Street Lane