Chandos

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I post an "On this day" thread on another website and one of todays historical gems is:29th September 1364: French troops under Bertrand du Guesclin advanced on Auray in Brittany, where an English-Breton force under his old friend and rival Sir John Chandos were besieging the town. In an attempt to counter the English archery which had proved so devastating in previous battles such as Crecy, du Guesclin advanced on foot behind a shield wall of large pavises. This brought his men in relative safety to the English positions, but in heavy fighting they then failed to breach the defences. Charles de Blois, the French-backed claimant for the Breton duchy, fell in the fighting, and Bertrand was forced to surrender to Chandos. The victory marked the end of the bitter war of succession in Brittany which had been contested on and off since 1341.This got me thinking - could this be where the "Chandos" street names in the Roundhay area come from? And if so, what (if any) links does he have with Leeds?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Roundhay Rugby Union Club (forerunner with Headingley of Leeds Carnegie) used to play at Chandos Park, which I believe was at Shadwell.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Good post this, I used to be the postie on the Chandos's. I always wondered were the name came from,
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: Roundhay Rugby Union Club (forerunner with Headingley of Leeds Carnegie) used to play at Chandos Park, which I believe was at Shadwell. Chandos Park is off Gledhow Lane kind of on the boundary between Gledhow and Roundhay.Roundhay and headingley RUFC became Leeds carnegie. Chandos Park is houses and the Kirkstall ground of headingley RU is now the Carnegie training centre.So there you "Collier" you........

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

Trojan wrote: Roundhay Rugby Union Club (forerunner with Headingley of Leeds Carnegie) used to play at Chandos Park, which I believe was at Shadwell. Well as a proud ex Roundhay RUFC colt I can assure you that Chandos Park was not in Shadwell but was in Roundhay. The ground was between Chandos Avenue and Chandos Gardens off Lidgett Lane. The gate to the ground and clubhouse was off Chandos Avenue. The club also used the playing fields of (?) Gledhow Primary School on Lidgett Lane for the junior sides (though most of the colts games I played in were on the fantastic surface of the clubs ground)The ground was surrounded by a shallow terrace with a single stand on the Chandos Avenue side . I would hazard at a guess that pre-Hillsborough it would have held 5000+ at a push. A typical gate for a Northern Premier game was probably in the low hundreds. In the early 80's they were a bit of powerhouse with the likes of Richard Cardus (couple of England caps before turning pro with Leeds), Ian Orum (almost an England cap and a bit of star when turning pro with I think Cas), Chris Holley, a fantastic front row that included a very young but gobby Brian Moore and a few others whose names escape me. Memorably I recall seeing Roundhay play the Leicester Tigers in the old national cup competion (?John Player Cup) 3rd Round ........... they got humped but it was a memorable occasion with the ground packed to the rafters!

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

raveydavey wrote: This got me thinking - could this be where the "Chandos" street names in the Roundhay area come from? And if so, what (if any) links does he have with Leeds? Cracking question. I am afraid for the moment I cannot see the connection with Leeds but it appears that as well as Sir John Chandos there was also many generations of Duke of Chandos but they appear to have been associated with Gloucestershire and Herefordshire [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Chandos ]

beetee

Post by beetee »

There was a Chandos street in Holbeck which was demolished and the street names Chandos were re-used in the Roundhay area. 1554 - The Attorney General reported, that he conceived the claimant had proved himself to be heir mile of the body of John, first Lord Chandos ; and as such entitled to the honour and dignity of Baron Chandos, of Sudeley, by evidence, which, although not without some difficulty, would be probably deemed sufficient to prove his title to any other species of inheritance, the foundation of which was laid so far back as the year 1554. From Peerage of England. ... - Related web pagesbooks.google.com/books?id=yFI5AAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1 ...

Newsman

Post by Newsman »

Chandos Park:
Attachments
__TFMF_luq33mm2txrz54ehkrk21e55_c938db4d-135a-4979-8641-232fbc2cb72e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_luq33mm2txrz54ehkrk21e55_c938db4d-135a-4979-8641-232fbc2cb72e_0_main.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

Si

Post by Si »

A quick spot of Googling reveals Chandos's all over the place, from pubs to record labels to schools, etc, etc, so maybe Sir Chandos was better known until more recent times, if he's the source?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Newsman wrote: Chandos Park: I played against Roundhay 2nds or 3rds (which North Leeds team didn't I play against in the sixties) but I don't remember playing at Chandos Park, I do remember playing on Soldiers Fields, but I'm not sure if that was Roundhay or Roundhegians.
Industria Omnia Vincit