(Almost) Unchanged Names From 1086

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
ickle1

Post by ickle1 »

i come from yeadon and the old men there all call it yeden (yedon??) and they call people from yeadon yedeners.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simon2710 wrote: Names haven't changed much since they were recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086. See if you can recognise these......Halton, Sacroft, Hedingleia, Bramleia, Beestone and Hunslet ALSO GIPTON,WHICH WENT FROM GARFORTH TO MEANWOOD!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

TomD wrote: i live in shadwell and i always thought it referred to the 7 or so wells in the area...i actually ended up in the shadwell in london about 6 months ago and thought it wasnt quite so nice as where i live... it turns our that "shad" in old english translates to "shite"... i cant find any info on my shadwel but i know this to be true of the one in london! gutted! i'm glad it doesnt smell so bad any more... So Armley would have been called "Shadleia" then? :-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Scandy Bramley wrote: TomD wrote: i live in shadwell and i always thought it referred to the 7 or so wells in the area...i actually ended up in the shadwell in london about 6 months ago and thought it wasnt quite so nice as where i live... it turns our that "shad" in old english translates to "shite"... i cant find any info on my shadwel but i know this to be true of the one in london! gutted! i'm glad it doesnt smell so bad any more... So Armley would have been called "Shadleia" then? :-) Tw@T
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simon2710 wrote: Names haven't changed much since they were recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086. See if you can recognise these......Halton, Sacroft, Hedingleia, Bramleia, Beestone and Hunslet you have missed gipton,colton and crossyyeates me old mate.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

wiggy wrote: simon2710 wrote: Names haven't changed much since they were recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086. See if you can recognise these......Halton, Sacroft, Hedingleia, Bramleia, Beestone and Hunslet ALSO GIPTON,WHICH WENT FROM GARFORTH TO MEANWOOD! ah! you got there before me,all of colton and straight through to gledhow valley woods was gipton.well done mate!

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

TomD wrote: i live in shadwell and i always thought it referred to the 7 or so wells in the area...i actually ended up in the shadwell in london about 6 months ago and thought it wasnt quite so nice as where i live... it turns our that "shad" in old english translates to "[edited for content]"... i cant find any info on my shadwel but i know this to be true of the one in london! gutted! i'm glad it doesnt smell so bad any more... Hi TomI thought Shadwell came from 'shady well'? A well shaded by trees?I'm sure I read something like that in a booklet about the local history several years back. Can't be certain though... CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks