(Almost) Unchanged Names From 1086

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Names haven't changed much since they were recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086. See if you can recognise these......Halton, Sacroft, Hedingleia, Bramleia, Beestone and Hunslet
Simon -H-

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Rodil (Rothwell)
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

When i was i kid in the early 60`s i remember going to visit my dads mate in rothwell, there was an old fella there that used to call rothwell , "rodil" now i know why!!!.....i find this fascinating.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Horsforth used to be horseford. You can't get out of horsforth without going over water, assumed the only ttransport back then was horses!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Thats not quite true about Horsforth... the old yorkshire dialect word for 'ford' is 'forth'. So while its true to say Horsforth means " Horse-Ford" it was never actually called "Horse-Ford" or "Horsford"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Clever clogs! Tha's me told isn't it.!!!!!!!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

People on Churwell hill refer to it as Cherill
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Loinerpete wrote: When i was i kid in the early 60`s i remember going to visit my dads mate in rothwell, there was an old fella there that used to call rothwell , "rodil" now i know why!!!.....i find this fascinating. Many still do mate. The old Grammar school is still called Rodillian as is the old boys rugby union club in Stanley.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

TomD

Post by TomD »

i live in shadwell and i always thought it referred to the 7 or so wells in the area...i actually ended up in the shadwell in london about 6 months ago and thought it wasnt quite so nice as where i live... it turns our that "shad" in old english translates to "shite"... i cant find any info on my shadwel but i know this to be true of the one in london! gutted! i'm glad it doesnt smell so bad any more...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Nobody has stated the obvious - Ledes same letters just two in a different order
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/