Changing Names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simong

Post by simong »

Ah, that is, I presume, the mill on the corner of the square and the High Street, which I think was one of the first to be replaced by shops. I assume that the Plumbase building on Marshall Street was an outbuilding. Thanks for the picture!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

simong wrote: Ah, that is, I presume, the mill on the corner of the square and the High Street, which I think was one of the first to be replaced by shops. I assume that the Plumbase building on Marshall Street was an outbuilding. Thanks for the picture! Yes I think so too, and the very slight downward incline to the left still exists under the small roundabout which is now just below "The Albert."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chelen7

Post by chelen7 »

LS1 wrote: I'm sure before all the houses were built in Chapeltown, it is known as "chapeltown Moor" on old maps. I'll have to dig out where i found this unless someone beats me to it!

chelen7

Post by chelen7 »

LS1 wrote: I'm sure before all the houses were built in Chapeltown, it is known as "chapeltown Moor" on old maps. I'll have to dig out where i found this unless someone beats me to it! I am new to this site and have been browsing for about 8 hours (I'm supposed to be working but this is much more interesting). I used to have a book called The Old Kingdom of Elmete. I remember it saying that Chapel Allerton was mentioned in the Doomsday Book which, if memorty serves me right, was a survey done in 1086. Unfortunatley I loaned the book to a friend and never got it back.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I've checked ducatus, and there is no metion of Chapeltown in it at all. there is a large section on Chapel Allerton though...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: I've checked ducatus, and there is no metion of Chapeltown in it at all. there is a large section on Chapel Allerton though... Well that would seem to indicate that Chapel Allerton is the original place and name.Is it possible that,given the area of what we now call Chapeltown,which is mainly centred on and around Chapletown road, the Chapeltown placename is just a bit of a slang/shortening for Chapel Allerton Road/Road to Chapel Allerton,and that Chapeltown as we know merely grew up around this road as Leeds expanded and became a nearby yet distinctly different area to Chapel Allerton?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

LS1 wrote: I've checked ducatus, and there is no metion of Chapeltown in it at all. there is a large section on Chapel Allerton though... Ducatus does mention Chapeltown Moor - though. The moor always seems to be called this - I've never seen a reference to "Chapel Allerton Moor"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simong

Post by simong »

BLAKEY wrote: Yes I think so too, and the very slight downward incline to the left still exists under the small roundabout which is now just below "The Albert." Roughly here, I would say. On another look, the Plumbase building is newer, but the walls behind would have been part of the mill.    
Attachments
__TFMF_uc454bapdquoxw2ipisjixye_c4965858-2474-473b-bdb4-2011a6ff9e89_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uc454bapdquoxw2ipisjixye_c4965858-2474-473b-bdb4-2011a6ff9e89_0_main.jpg (668.26 KiB) Viewed 2853 times

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

cnosni wrote: LS1 wrote: I've checked ducatus, and there is no metion of Chapeltown in it at all. there is a large section on Chapel Allerton though... Well that would seem to indicate that Chapel Allerton is the original place and name.Is it possible that,given the area of what we now call Chapeltown,which is mainly centred on and around Chapletown road, the Chapeltown placename is just a bit of a slang/shortening for Chapel Allerton Road/Road to Chapel Allerton,and that Chapeltown as we know merely grew up around this road as Leeds expanded and became a nearby yet distinctly different area to Chapel Allerton?     Wikipedia again... ... Chapeltown does not have any official boundaries. It is not recognised by the Land Registry or the Post Office, but is widely recognised by residents of Leeds. According to the Ordnance Survey,Chapeltown is a relatively small area around National Grid Coordinates SE430500, 437500, north of Harehills Lane (B6159) and east of the Harrogate Road. Chapeltown Road runs north through Potternewton to Harehills Lane - that is it leads to Chapeltown but is not on it. However, it has become common to include Potternewton, and in particular Chapeltown Road. According to one source this wider definition is in "the LS7 postal region, and can be mapped through four points; where Scott Hall Lane runs to north to where it intersects with Potternewton Lane, where Harehills Lane runs east and intersects with Avenue Hill, where Spencer Place runs south and intersects with Roundhay Road, to the very bottom and beginning of Chapeltown Road." This follows the LS7 postcode boundary on the East, with LS8 being Harehills. However, Roundhay Road could also be considered the boundary between them. Harehills is adjacent, and the areas are commonly considered together.See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapeltown,_West_Yorkshire
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Chrism wrote: cnosni wrote: LS1 wrote: I've checked ducatus, and there is no metion of Chapeltown in it at all. there is a large section on Chapel Allerton though... Well that would seem to indicate that Chapel Allerton is the original place and name.Is it possible that,given the area of what we now call Chapeltown,which is mainly centred on and around Chapletown road, the Chapeltown placename is just a bit of a slang/shortening for Chapel Allerton Road/Road to Chapel Allerton,and that Chapeltown as we know merely grew up around this road as Leeds expanded and became a nearby yet distinctly different area to Chapel Allerton?     Wikipedia again... ... Chapeltown does not have any official boundaries. It is not recognised by the Land Registry or the Post Office, but is widely recognised by residents of Leeds. According to the Ordnance Survey,Chapeltown is a relatively small area around National Grid Coordinates SE430500, 437500, north of Harehills Lane (B6159) and east of the Harrogate Road. Chapeltown Road runs north through Potternewton to Harehills Lane - that is it leads to Chapeltown but is not on it. However, it has become common to include Potternewton, and in particular Chapeltown Road. According to one source this wider definition is in "the LS7 postal region, and can be mapped through four points; where Scott Hall Lane runs to north to where it intersects with Potternewton Lane, where Harehills Lane runs east and intersects with Avenue Hill, where Spencer Place runs south and intersects with Roundhay Road, to the very bottom and beginning of Chapeltown Road." This follows the LS7 postcode boundary on the East, with LS8 being Harehills. However, Roundhay Road could also be considered the boundary between them. Harehills is adjacent, and the areas are commonly considered together.See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapeltown,_West_Yorkshire I'm not always conviced about wikipedia, I wonder who writes these articles? LS7 boundary reaches North to Gleadhow valley Road, so I dont think that using the postal disctricts can define the area.