Changing Names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

cnosni wrote: Early nineteenth century Gazateer description of Leeds shows the following for Chapel Allerton in Leeds"CHAPEL ALLERTON, in the borough and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2¼ miles N. of Leeds, 5¼ from Harewood, 9 from Wetherby, 11 from Otley. Pop. 1,678. The Church is a perpetual curacy. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. Robert Parker, of Browsholme, says Thoresby, built an hospital here for ten widows, to whom he has given £50. per annum, for nearly twenty years past, and designed to augment the endowment at his death very considerably. Whether this design was put into execution or not, we have not learned." "MOOR ALLERTON, a hamlet in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 3¼ miles from Leeds. The north part of the borough of Leeds terminates here." "ALLERTON GRANGE, in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, 3½ miles from Leeds. This place formerly belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Kirkstall. The family of the Killingbecks which is of considerable antiquity in these parts, were tenants to it before the dissolution. --Thoresby." "POTTERNEWTON, in the parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles N. of Leeds, 6 from Harewood, 9 from Otley. Potternewton, which, Dr. Whitaker says, with Chapel Allerton and Gledhow, constitutes the most beautiful portion of the parish of Leeds, was anciently a seat of the Mauleverers, who came over with the Conqueror, and which family was seated here at least eight generations. --Thoresby." There is no mention of the term Chapeltown whatsoever.I wonder when the term did come in to use,as Drapesy points out Thoresby mentions it.is this mention a modern interpretation or does the original actually show Chapeltown?Lee (LS1),dont you have a cdrom copy of Ducatus?     I have in the past done a bit of research into the History of Cricket in Leeds and can give you a reference to "Chapeltown" in 1760 and "Chapel Town Moor" in 1761;From the Leeds Intelligencer 20/5/1760"...The Gentlemen Cricket Players are desired to meet at Mr Cowling's at Chapeltown on Monday next the 26th instant at ten o'clock in the morning:at which place, all who are willing to become subscribers, are desired to attend. Dinner will be upon the table at two o'clock"[Further research has established the Mr Cowling was at this time the landlord of the Bowling Green Inn - subsequently the Mexborough Arms now (as a subsequent building on the site) the three Hullats. Cricket was played on the large bowling green to the south of the inn]From the Leeds Intelligencer 7/7/1761"We hear that a great cricket-match will be play'd on Chapel-Town-Moor, on Thursday next"[For further references see 'The Cricket Statistician' No.84, Winter 1993.]If I had been researching Chapeltown and its Moor generally,(particularly horse-racing)- I'm sure I could have found even earlier references.The first quotation, incidentally, is the first known reference to Cricket in Leeds . Cricket at this time featured under-arm bowling, bats shaped more like hockey sticks and low,wide wickets with only two stumps and one bail!    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Wikipedia says... ... "Chapeltown Moor was in the manor of Newton (whence Potternewton), some 300 acres, used for races, archery contests, and in 1765 the first cricket match in Yorkshire, between "the Gentlemen of Chapeltown and the Gentlemen of Sheffield".
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Chrism wrote: Wikipedia says... ... "Chapeltown Moor was in the manor of Newton (whence Potternewton), some 300 acres, used for races, archery contests, and in 1765 the first cricket match in Yorkshire, between "the Gentlemen of Chapeltown and the Gentlemen of Sheffield". Not for the first time Wikipedia is not entirely correct. There are refences to Cricket in Yorkshire from 1751 - we will never know when the first match was played. The game referred to was between the Gentlemen of Leeds (NOT Chapeltown) and Gentlemen of Sheffield. The game took place on 26/8/1765 at Chapeltown Moor - and it is the first reference to cricket in Yorkshire in which we know the teams taking part in a match and the result. Although the actual score has not survived we know that it was won 'with great difficulty' by Sheffield. (Leeds Intelligancer 27/8/1765)
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: cnosni wrote: Early nineteenth century Gazateer description of Leeds shows the following for Chapel Allerton in Leeds"CHAPEL ALLERTON, in the borough and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2¼ miles N. of Leeds, 5¼ from Harewood, 9 from Wetherby, 11 from Otley. Pop. 1,678. The Church is a perpetual curacy. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. Robert Parker, of Browsholme, says Thoresby, built an hospital here for ten widows, to whom he has given £50. per annum, for nearly twenty years past, and designed to augment the endowment at his death very considerably. Whether this design was put into execution or not, we have not learned." "MOOR ALLERTON, a hamlet in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 3¼ miles from Leeds. The north part of the borough of Leeds terminates here." "ALLERTON GRANGE, in the township of Chapel Allerton, and parish of Leeds, 3½ miles from Leeds. This place formerly belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Kirkstall. The family of the Killingbecks which is of considerable antiquity in these parts, were tenants to it before the dissolution. --Thoresby." "POTTERNEWTON, in the parish of Leeds, lower-division of Skyrack, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles N. of Leeds, 6 from Harewood, 9 from Otley. Potternewton, which, Dr. Whitaker says, with Chapel Allerton and Gledhow, constitutes the most beautiful portion of the parish of Leeds, was anciently a seat of the Mauleverers, who came over with the Conqueror, and which family was seated here at least eight generations. --Thoresby." There is no mention of the term Chapeltown whatsoever.I wonder when the term did come in to use,as Drapesy points out Thoresby mentions it.is this mention a modern interpretation or does the original actually show Chapeltown?Lee (LS1),dont you have a cdrom copy of Ducatus?     I have in the past done a bit of research into the History of Cricket in Leeds and can give you a reference to "Chapeltown" in 1760 and "Chapel Town Moor" in 1761;From the Leeds Intelligencer 20/5/1760"...The Gentlemen Cricket Players are desired to meet at Mr Cowling's at Chapeltown on Monday next the 26th instant at ten o'clock in the morning:at which place, all who are willing to become subscribers, are desired to attend. Dinner will be upon the table at two o'clock"[Further research has established the Mr Cowling was at this time the landlord of the Bowling Green Inn - subsequently the Mexborough Arms now (as a subsequent building on the site) the three Hullats. Cricket was played on the large bowling green to the south of the inn]From the Leeds Intelligencer 7/7/1761"We hear that a great cricket-match will be play'd on Chapel-Town-Moor, on Thursday next"[For further references see 'The Cricket Statistician' No.84, Winter 1993.]If I had been researching Chapeltown and its Moor generally,(particularly horse-racing)- I'm sure I could have found even earlier references.The first quotation, incidentally, is the first known reference to Cricket in Leeds . Cricket at this time featured under-arm bowling, bats shaped more like hockey sticks and low,wide wickets with only two stumps and one bail!     So what do you think,is Chapel Alleron the correct name,and Chapel town some sort of slang shortening.If its the other way round then surely this would be a lengthening of the place name.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

In response to above - (not wanting a huge 'quote'!)Very hard to say from this distance - a bit of a 'Chicken and Egg' situation. What is certain is that for many years the 2 names were interchangeable but in the relatively recent past have come to mean 2 distinct places.I suspect that the further you go back the more and more you would get into other variant spellings (before such things were formalised) and long forgotten pronounciations - confusion but no definitive answer. One can certainly go back a long way - The Domesday book , I believe, calls the area Alreton or Alretoun - showing the antiquity of the original village.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

A chapel is a small church. Presumably there was a "chapel of ease" (a place to go and pray) in the area as part of the Parish of Leeds. Morley was part of the parish of Batley - St Marys, Morley (the oldest site of continuous worship in the town) stands on the site of Morley Old Chapel.Of course Chapeltown Road is known throughout the North as the former HQ of the RFL.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: A chapel is a small church. Presumably there was a "chapel of ease" (a place to go and pray) in the area as part of the Parish of Leeds. Morley was part of the parish of Batley - St Marys, Morley (the oldest site of continuous worship in the town) stands on the site of Morley Old Chapel.Of course Chapeltown Road is known throughout the North as the former HQ of the RFL. Yes there was a chapel there,its first mention in the Leeds PR,for baptisms and burials taking place there,is 1712.I must admit that i havent take any notice before 1712,for mentions of the place name,so im not entirely sure what the situation is.Another interchange of name i have come across is Quarry Hill and Quarrel Hill.I wonder if that would put a whole new light on that area
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Incidentally I have in my collection an old photo of one of Mr. Grange's coaches - an Albion with extremely rare body by Tower Coachworks of Upper Wortley/Armley - awaiting bookings in Albert Square. Journeys to the west coast resorts in particular were long drawn out affairs, but Oh what happy days. I'd like to see that as I live on Albert Square. Leodis has some photos of the fair from the turn of the century and before but not so many of the time when it was basically a car park. Managed to find them now simon after being away for the weekend. I wrongly claimed that the picture in Albert Square is one of mine - it is in fact a commercial picture by the late excellent Robert F. Mack.    My own teenage snapshot is the other picture, taken in Blackpool in the shadow of a rather menacing looking big dipper !!I am asking our long suffering friend Sean to post them until I can sort out the gremlins at this end - a kind lad he is, and very much appreciated.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Sorry im late BLAKEY but ive only just logged in mate
Attachments
__TFMF_bkia212cyoghzl55upb3zlja_8624be58-7394-4f14-bac3-6f6924fa26dd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bkia212cyoghzl55upb3zlja_8624be58-7394-4f14-bac3-6f6924fa26dd_0_main.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

no/2
Attachments
__TFMF_bkia212cyoghzl55upb3zlja_929bb77b-f61b-4ba8-a6f9-2eeb867ad31b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_bkia212cyoghzl55upb3zlja_929bb77b-f61b-4ba8-a6f9-2eeb867ad31b_0_main.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.