Arthursdale

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Hey S/Lers, Can anyone start the New Year with some info on a village called Arthursdale? According to to the dubious content of a certain online encyclopedia it is a village in Leeds, West Yorkshire but that is all she wrote!! According to Google Earth, Arthursdale is between Stanks and Scholes, but there is no village there just a farmers field with some interesting crop marks in it (possably a ring ditch and associated tracks). So guys and gals can we scare up some facts or i am i just gonna call Time Team?? Happy New Year to all and all the best for 2009!    
Love a Landrover

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

There's a street somewhere up there called Arthursdale Grange.Beyond that, I got nuthin'

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

electricaldave wrote: There's a street somewhere up there called Arthursdale Grange.Beyond that, I got nuthin' There are a few streets named Arthursday off The Approach/Rakehill Lane aren't there?.The name sounds rather 'new' to have much History to it but I might be wrong, certainly I don't see mention of anything of note in books such as Edmund Bogg.Did chance a quick Google with the usal spam results from sites trying to misleadingly tempt you in under false pretences, you know the kind of thing, 'buy a house in Arthursdale, find nude bathing now in Arthursdale' kind of thing!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I just checked the GENUKI site and it gives it as part of the parish of Barwick In Elmet if that is any use. Next to the A58 from the map reference.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

this site has a map, and refers to Arthursdale development.Appears it was a Victorian "new town" attempt (or rather village).http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /maps.html

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Best then described as an area within Scholes perhaps rather than a village? Have to be honest, never noticed it shown on maps before! Wonder what its origin is - Scholes seems rather small to have sub-districts, maybe this was once an area in its own right which was swallowed up as Scholes grew?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Looking at the maps on the site I gave earlier,it is just a couple of roads. I suspect it was one of those developments popular in victorian times where a local builder bought some land ,threw up houses on it and tried to pass it off as a select area.I did wonder whether Arthur might be his first name?It was near Scholes station so the builder probably expected the area to grow.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Steve Jones wrote: Looking at the maps on the site I gave earlier,it is just a couple of roads. I suspect it was one of those developments popular in victorian times where a local builder bought some land ,threw up houses on it and tried to pass it off as a select area.I did wonder whether Arthur might be his first name?It was near Scholes station so the builder probably expected the area to grow. It certainly does seem to go back a way Steve but I doubt speculative development was at the heart of it then.I have an old 1:25 000 OS map of around here and it does indeed show Arthursdale. the text looking similar to that used to name things like Morwick Hall and Rake Hill suggesting it was perhaps just a name given to a small area rather than a 'Place' such as Scholes or Barwick.The Arthursdale shown was to the North of Rakes Beck, which is now known as The Avenue, with newrer development to the south of the beck taking the name of Arthursdale for some of the streets.I still don't see anything to describe the origin so very likely as you suggest, named after the landowner.

sazzle

Re: Arthursdale

Post by sazzle »

I live in Arthursdale! The area was developed by Arthur Chippindale, his family owned the quarry in Scholes (the quarry long gone but still referred to as Chippies). I think it was meant to be an exclusive area for commuters using the train station.