Monkey Bridge.

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Gaz 79

Re: the iron pipe over the beck

Post by Gaz 79 »

o
Last edited by Gaz 79 on Thu 02 Nov, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz 79

Post by Gaz 79 »

I well remember the iron pipe in the 1940's I used to fall off it quite regularly. I always thought that the name Monkey Bridge came from the fact that you had to be a monkey to get over the beck via the iron pipe. I used to come from the Comptons to play there and to fish in the beck. Happy days
Gaz

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Gaz 79 wrote: I used to come from the Comptons to play there and to fish in the beck. Happy days
Gaz
So did I but in the mid 1950's. We used to wade in the beck in wellies. May I ask whereabouts in the Comptons?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Re: Monkey Bridge.

Post by dogduke »

If you have happy memories of the Compton's in your mind,keep them there and
treasure them.

A return visit is not recommended,Harehills Lane and the surrounding streets like the Compton's
are dumps.

Candidate for the City of Culture,they are truly in a world of their own,the inner city areas are becoming a lost cause.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.