Wiring Field

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
simonm

Post by simonm »

In all my years walking, bussing, cycling, driving, riding past this place I have never ever heard it called the Wiring field. If my attempt at loading the image fails, it's the one big open field behind St Barts and the google co-ordinates are53° 47' 40.32" N1° 35' 06.10" W         Obviously the co-ordinates initial figures have the little degree symbolDoes anyone know how it got that name. I can't find any ref to it.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

You mean this simon °Hold down ALT and type 0176 from the number pad to get it.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cheers mate. did it and it worked. Many thanksAny idea's peeps over the name?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

simonm wrote: Cheers mate. did it and it worked. Many thanksAny idea's peeps over the name? Had a thought simon, you could use ALT 0176 when you're giving Munki the third about the skulls article     

Si

Post by Si »

Maybe it's not an actual name, but a description, like 'Rope Walk.' This was a long thin field where cords were twisted to make rope. Perhaps this was the wire equivalent? Just a thought.

simonm

Post by simonm »

It's possible I suppose. Just saw it for the fisrt time on the larger scale map and found myself worndering if the knowlege base on here could help

simonm

Post by simonm »

I take it thats a no then?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Well, I've tried to find out something about this and failed dismally! Yes, it's on several old maps as Wiring Field but not a clue as to why. I have a couple of things still to research but have drawn a blank so far. I'll post again if I find out anything Simon.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Interestingly its listed as a village in GMTs a-z of towns and villages in West Yorkshire<http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-z ... yorkshire/>
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Yes, I saw that too Tyke Bhoy, and wondered if it was the name of a small local district within Armley rather than an actual field (the size of the typeface on the old maps bears this out too). I looked it up to see if it was a derivation of a Saxon or Viking name, but no luck...