Wiring Field

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: Maybe it's not an actual name, but a description, like 'Rope Walk.' This was a long thin field where cords were twisted to make rope. Perhaps this was the wire equivalent? Just a thought. Hi Si RopeWalk is allso the long tunnel were the main drive belts used to run in the mills When i worked at Harding and Rhodes Tower Works the old engine room had a Rope Walk but sorry to say no steam engine in fact there are pictures of this room on an other thread on SL    

simong

Post by simong »

Si wrote: Maybe it's not an actual name, but a description, like 'Rope Walk.' This was a long thin field where cords were twisted to make rope. Perhaps this was the wire equivalent? Just a thought. The 'field' suffix isn't uncommon around here: there's also Pottery Field in Hunslet, which gets listed as a locality although I think it's basically a Transco office/depot.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

simong wrote: Si wrote: Maybe it's not an actual name, but a description, like 'Rope Walk.' This was a long thin field where cords were twisted to make rope. Perhaps this was the wire equivalent? Just a thought. The 'field' suffix isn't uncommon around here: there's also Pottery Field in Hunslet, which gets listed as a locality although I think it's basically a Transco office/depot. Pottery Field is in fact were the famous Leeds Pottery used to be back in the seventeen hundreds so its no wonder the name has been passed down Its was also my old stomping ground when i was a kid.