Nineveh Gardens

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Calliad wrote: No doubt 19th century Leeds was considered by some to be a 'city of sin' too. But the Ninevites repented, wore sack cloth and sat in ashes and were forgiven. I've no idea if there was a chapel so named in Holbeck but there remain examples elsewhere. Not according to Wikepedia. And it seemed to have a very short existence too.I can only assume it was named by some fanciful person to conjure up an exotic place. After all I live in Troy!
Industria Omnia Vincit

carith

Post by carith »

hi Munkithere is mention of holbeck in this link that may help.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Gmws ... t#PPA84,M1

munki

Post by munki »

Wow, so the name has been in Holbeck since 1762? That is amazing. I had thought possibly that the streets had been built or renamed during the excavation of the site in the early nineteenth century, but obviously not. In 1762 Nineveh can have ONLY been a biblical city, whose location was not known (according to wiki, the site was buried under 12 METRES of desert sand before it was exacavated!).Were people will to openly associate themselves with Sinful Cities, in the 18th century??? I certainly can't recall any Soddom Streets or Gomorrah Avenues... Haha. But it is true that in the Books of Jonah & Nehum the city of Nineveh is given a similarly scathing treatment as those two cities.'Woe to the bloody city! it is all full of lies & robbery...'I had thought also perhaps that the area was so named because, like Nineveh, it was at the centre of trade routes, which brought wealth to it, but would this have applied to Holbeck in 1762?Maybe it was just that people thought it was good to use a name out of the Bible, without particularly knowing what that name meant? Maybe the person who named the streets, could copy names out of the Bible, without really being able to read what was being said about the places?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.