The Calls

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
munki

Post by munki »

Does anyone know what the 'call' in The Calls & Call Lane refers to???
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

ExplorerRich

Post by ExplorerRich »

munki wrote: Does anyone know what the 'call' in The Calls & Call Lane refers to??? The area was well known for prostitution in days gone by. Just a guess but maybe that has something to do with it "call girls" etc.

Si

Post by Si »

I think it comes from the Latin for a path or walkway - something like that. Isn't there an old thread on this somewhere?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yeah it's in here somwhere:Clickety click
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Tut tut munki... didn't search the site for it first... well I dunno!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Si wrote: I think it comes from the Latin for a path or walkway - something like that. Isn't there an old thread on this somewhere? Calle is Spanish for "Street".
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

ExplorerRich wrote: munki wrote: Does anyone know what the 'call' in The Calls & Call Lane refers to??? The area was well known for prostitution in days gone by. Just a guess but maybe that has something to do with it "call girls" etc. interesting theory, but I doubt it.but actually in medieval times a street where prostitutes plied their trade woiuld have been called 'finkle street(lane, or whatever)'. many towns that go back as far as that: pontefract for instance still have a finkle street. Is there a finkle street in Leeds? Or perhaps more accurately was there one?I should add that there are other ideas about finkle street: and the prostitition bit is a coincidence: ie it just so happend that it went on in these twisting alleyways in meieval market towns.     
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Si wrote: I think it comes from the Latin for a path or walkway - something like that. Isn't there an old thread on this somewhere? I'm guessing that 'alley' has a similar etrytmology, as does aller french for to walk.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees