Haunted shops!

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
vix

Post by vix »

Hi, just spent the evening reading all the stories on here and it's prompted me to post a few experiences of my own whilst working in Leeds.I was a manager for the RSPCA in Leeds and spent a lot of time in the charity shops. Sometimes I would get there early to get work done, but sometimes I wouldn't be able to stay in the shop for very long! The first thing I remember was when I was in the large shop on New Market Street. I had unlocked the door and turned the alarm off, when I head a bump from the basement floor. I was a bit scared, and got halfway down when I heard coathangers rattling and saw 'something' move. Convinced there was someone in the shop, I went back outside to wait for another member of staff to turn up. No one was in the shop when we investigated and there certainly weren't any other ways in.Another time in the same shop, I was working on my own on the top floor when again I heard coathangers rattle. I went out to the top of the stairs where I heard the noise, and they were moving on the rail. There were no draughts or anything but this time, I didn't feel scared, just like something mischeivous had happened. Many other members of staff reported similar feelings and experiences when they were working on their own.In the little shop on Eastgate, I would be working in the back room on a morning before we were open, and 'things' would catch my eye on the CCTV monitor. Just little movements and shapes but when I went into the shop there was never anything there.The furniture store on Shannon street was also quite scary. I used to cover there on my own, and once I suddenly smelt cigarette smoke, but no one was in the shop, and no one had been in. I then saw smoke swirling in one of the aisles but when I went up to investigate, it went. and the smell went with it!!! Again many other staff members (including our van drivers) had similar experiences.I do remember some of the other managers telling stories too about being alone in the shop and things happening. Crossgates was one and Bramley another. I'm not advertising the RSPCA here, I moved to Norwich years ago and no longer work for them, they are simply my experiences!!

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hi all. Please can someone help. I work in a shoe shop in Chapel Allerton. We opened in June 2008 and strange things have been happening ever since. Stock flies off shelves, lights turn on by themselves (We have seen them on CCTV) and today I heard shoe boxes moving around. I turned round absolutely terrified to see gaps in the boxes and terrified of seeing a face between them. It went cold, I went white. I went next door to ask if they were moving things around but were nowhere near the back of the shop.It is about 4 hours later and I still feel sick, shaky, it's awful.I've been searching around for some old maps or history on Chapel aLlerton, especially Harrogate Road to see if there are any records of this happeneing before.Can anyone out there help at all? PleaseTiggy x

Griff

Post by Griff »

Hello Tiggy.In response to your message regarding the strange occurrences in your shop. I live in Capel A, and have done so for the best part of my life. Chapel A does have a history going back may centuries and there are buildings remaining that are quite old, going back to the 19th century. I have heard one or two stories about hauntings in Chapel A but nothing for quite some time. I am a paranormal researcher and a member of a group that has been investigating the paranormal for the last six years or so. We have been featured in news papers and on TV and are we take the subject very seriously. There can be sevreal reasons for what you have experienced and without having first-hand knowledge or information it is quite hard to give an informed answer to your question. If it is a spirit person they might be feeding of your nervous energy, and enjoy the fact that they are scaring you. The more they scare you - the more they will continue! They could also be just trying to get your attention just to let you know that they are there. My initial suggestion would be to TRY and ignore the experiences or ask them nicely, to stop. This sometimes does work! Your experiences might also be easily explanable and have a more rational cause. As I say it is hard to know without having more information.If you like I, and another member of my group; could visit your shop to have a chat about your experiences to see if we can establish if what you have is paranormal or something more rational. I understand that this offer mighht seem strange but we get quite a number of requests to investigate or visit private premises. It is all totally confidential and obviously we do not charge because we use our findings as part of our research. If we can be of help please visit our website at www.partuk.co.uk where you will find a number to contact the group.Very best wishes,Griff

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

Tiggy wrote: Hi all. Please can someone help. I work in a shoe shop in Chapel Allerton. We opened in June 2008 and strange things have been happening ever since. Stock flies off shelves, lights turn on by themselves (We have seen them on CCTV) and today I heard shoe boxes moving around. I turned round absolutely terrified to see gaps in the boxes and terrified of seeing a face between them. It went cold, I went white. I went next door to ask if they were moving things around but were nowhere near the back of the shop.It is about 4 hours later and I still feel sick, shaky, it's awful.I've been searching around for some old maps or history on Chapel aLlerton, especially Harrogate Road to see if there are any records of this happeneing before.Can anyone out there help at all? PleaseTiggy x TiggyI was in Sammies next door last Saturday morning and was talking to the lasses there. they were telling me about what's been going on, they mentioned something about a rocking horse that just starts rocking for no reason, this led me to belive it's the spirit of a child causing mischief.They also mentioned that your cellar steps just end at the wall as if both shops once joined.It could be worth trying to find out what the history is i,e what the prievious shops were.

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hey thanks Griff, will give you a call in the morning, would love for someone to come and have a look round and talk to us. Tiggy

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Hey Stodge, good to hear from you. Yeah, it's all very strange. Hopefully Griff can come round and give us an insight into what's going on. We think it may be a child also.Tiggy