haunted pubs

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
simonm

Post by simonm »

My wife and I used to manage the Albion Inn on Armley Rd. Although not really known as a "haunted pub" it did have some bloody wierd goings on at times.Lots of the regulars know or tell of things that have happened and quite a few happened to us while we were there. Nothing sinister, just unexplained events.One night I was in a section of the cellar that was behind a locked sliding door, I heard a really big bang from a barrel. I asumed that a bitter cask had fallen from the rails it was racked on. When I went into that part, an 18 gallon (Kilderkin) of lager, that is usually stored on its end had fallen on its side, rolled the length of the cellar (over a substantial drain gully) and stood itself up on its end again at t'other end.The cellar floor was a newish FLAT and SMOOTH concrete and there is no way it could have gone over on its own. If anyone ever used full barrels they would know that without acute tilting there is no way they can "fall over".Many other minor occurances, but none so dramatic as that. My wife saw him one night and assumed it was me, until she heard the cellar sliding door being pulled shut by me. There is no way I could have got back down to the cellar within 2 seconds between seeing "me" and hearing me. The dog sensed our friend and usually got quite exited. One night he stood at the very top of the stairs, hair on his neck on end and growling and snarling down the stairs, but he wouldn't go down.I called our friend Henry, after Henry Easterby, who died in the pub after a long illness. The pub was in the Easteby family for a very long time. I used to "feel" a prescence down in the cellar, but I always felt safe and under no threat at all. I even used to talk to him. He, if it was he, was probably making sure I was doing things right..
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

I used to go in The Albion. Whenever I left, I always felt strangely light-headed and my wallet would be mysteriously empty......

simonm

Post by simonm »

That should be a lesson in NOT dabbling with the spirits then......
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

G....r....o....a....n......    

sambo

Post by sambo »

In reply to the post about the oak in headingley... I used to go out with the landlords daughter and stayed there many a time whiel we were together. I can remember very clearly waking up one night feeling really uneasy, i was almost certain someone else was in the pub somehow, despite it being closed and locked with all the staff gone home. I heard footsteps and creaking from the lounge, and as it had been broken into fairly recently i was concerned it might be happening again! The whole flat was empty upon inspection with no sign of entry. The wierd thing was that my GF heard them too, so its not as if i was the only one!Her brother apparently saw 'someone' in the hallway once in his younger days, and charged through to get his dad to come see it. When they returned there was nothing there, but his dad vouched that the lads terror was genuine, and believe me when i say he is not the type who is easily scared.

Phys1987

Post by Phys1987 »

Visited york a few weeks back, and made sure me and my gf visited the golden fleece, englands 'most hunted pub'. Very nice little old pub, low ceilings, beams etc. I sensed a few things and plan to go stay there over night, will be fun. My gf doesn't beleive in ghosts AT ALL, but when i suggested staying for the night, she kinda tried to discard it! But iv made her agree to stay! The food here was poor, the service was even poorer, and the face of the landlady during service was like id just walked in and urinated on her face! If this pub was run by someone with a bit of enthuisiasm and a keen interest of its history then this little pub would thrive even more.Present owners....... P*SS OFF!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I went to the Golden fleece last year on a hunt.The rooms upstairs are in a bad state and IMHO not worth he price.Ghost hunt interesting though.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Phys1987

Post by Phys1987 »

Yeah nice pub, just a shame about the owners. I think because of it being on living tv' most haunted, the owners dont really care now as they know people will come stay no matter what state the place is.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

If you want an interesting haunted York pub,The Black Swan at peasholme Green(carry on walking up the road from the Golden Fleece away from Parliament Square and it is the old black & white building on the right hand side) is much better.4 ghosts at least including one that is just a pair of legs !better beer too.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Phys1987

Post by Phys1987 »

I will have to try it, do they have rooms to stay in?