haunted pubs

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Si

Post by Si »

If there's ever a candidate for a Leeds haunted pub, it's got to be the Crown and Fleece (no longer open) by the Corn Exchange (see Skulls thread!)

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Very true!Barnums (bar and restaurant) in Woodlesford -nr the railway station was supposed to be haunted.Now converted to flats, I believe.

jam

Post by jam »

at the original oak in headingley, the old bowling green, now the beer garden has a rather dark history. There is still a preservation order on the land that states that no building is allowed on the site for another 100 years. The reason being that it is an old burial ground. The actual oak tree it was named after that stood a few metres away was a hanging tree and a very well known landmark, so well known that the area took its name from it "Skyrack" which means "shire oak". Has anyone seen anything strange (other than the students) around here???

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Where do you get your information that The original Shire Oak was a hanging tree Jam?it certainly marked the meeting point of the Saxon Wapentakes of Elmete and Agbrigg but i have never read that it was used for this purpose.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jam

Post by jam »

Hi Steve, i do not have any written evidence, only hear say from a friend who was an engineer/repairman for Tetleys and the licenced trade around Leeds. He says the tree became a hanging tree in the Civil war. As you indicate, it was a well known landmark, which is maybe why it was used because for this purpose at this time. I assume the Leeds/Bradford border wouldn't have been too far away at this point and the hangings may have acted as a warning. Who was hanging who, i don't know! i would think that if there is a restriction on building, that this information would be available from LCC., however i have not followed this up.

Chaddy 83

Post by Chaddy 83 »

Dewsbury Road social club in Beeston is meant to be haunted with sightings in there. It used to be an old ball room aswell before it was like it is now a couple of hundred years ago and theres meant to have been weird things happen in the cellar. In the cellar there are underground footpaths which go on for miles which lead up to old mines in Beeston and Middleton. All of them are meant to go on for miles and are eventually blocked up and some of them are completely blocked up but heard theres loads of weird things in there. My brother used to work there and has been down there but he hasn't seen anything but said there is something not quite right down there

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Well if Beeston Club has underground paths ,we will have to send Phil down<LOL>!

uncle michael

Post by uncle michael »

I think the club you are referring to is on Dewsbury Road at the junction of Middleton Lane.I used to go in there because you could drink late after the pubs had closed,but you had to purchase pie and peas.     I think it was Tetleys social club, or was it named that later?                             Michael

Chaddy 83

Post by Chaddy 83 »

Yeah the pub I'm referring to is the big white building on the corner of Middleton Lane which leads upto the South Leeds Stadium. Its called Dewsbury Road Social Club

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Anybody know anything about the ghost at The Woolpack , Otley?I have read "Haunted Leeds" about it, but wondered if there are any more sightings?