haunted pubs

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

i know we have a thread on Haunted Houses, but i thought i would start one on pubs as well.I have personal experience of The Old Red Lion. I was lucky enough to get up to the disused 3rd floor when a previous tenant was leaving and let members of Leeds Pagan Moot which I was running at the time look around. The end gable room (where the clock is on the outside) has a very strange atmosphere. This is where a barmaid is supposed to have hanged herself.The departing tenant told me that he had been advised to keep the door to the top section locked to "keep the ghost in".They must have unlocked it at some stage as the pub is haunted.I personally witnessed one of the weirdest things i have ever seen there.At a Pagan Moot a woman sat opposite myself let out a scream. We could all see a large splash of blood on her hand and thought she had cut herself,she said she felt it drip on her from above.Wiping it off she had no cut on her hand, nor was there anything on the ceiling and no one next to her had any drink remotely resembling blood that could have splashed. it certainly appeared to be blood on the handkerchief. She didn't have a nose bleed either.This event followed my mentioning earlier in the meeting the trip upstairs and round the pub looking for ghosts to the meeting.I was also informed by one barman that when it had a jukebox (just prior to the new licencing act coming into force and the subsequent removal of the equipment), a speaker was hurled off the wall at somebody just missing them.any other sightings?i know other pubs are reputed to be haunted such as The Palace but would be interested in any actual experiences as well as stories.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

I know that the White Horse pub on york road is haunted, iv not seen or heared anything in there but i knew the owners son as i went to school with him, and he told me, as well as a few others that had slept over there, that its very haunted by a woman i think. But thats all i know as i didnt really ask him anythin about it, but i know that my mates never stayed over again!!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

il tell you a pub that definitely hasn't got any spirits in it??? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> the shaftesbury ' come to think of it there's no beer in there either lol     
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I am popping into The Old Red Lion to meet a fpagan friend tonight and sign a form for her. I will ask if they have any new reports.I was told that The prince of Wales was haunted by the ghost of a soldierand that they have a picture associated with him.this was when i popped in for a pint just as it was being refurbished. I haven't beeen in since.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Nothing new from The Old Red Lion as I didn't see the landlord to ask.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

The West End in Kirkstall is supposed to have a spook, though the only thing i've managed to find out is that it manifests as an uncharacteristic 'cold spot' in the left hand (as you face the building from the main road) rear corner.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Men have been 'getting the willies' in the Old Red Lion for many, many years of course... now we know why
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Leeds Pagan moot originally met in the "Old Red Lion" because it was one of the few places in the 1980's that happily accepted witch's or anyone.there has been a moot on and off there since 1990's.. we now come with the pub<G>. It meant when I was runing it that i got to hear about the ghost.

liits

Post by liits »

[yet again, sorry to revive an old thread, but being a non-believer, this is one topic I don’t usually read]Many years ago I worked in the Manston Hotel, in Crossgates [now called the Barnbow]. At the time, the place was still a real hotel, all 9 rooms of it, and had a regular trade from ROF Leeds and Howson Alagraphy. It was also reputedly haunted.One of the regular guests from Howson’s, stayed Monday to Friday every week and always had the same single room.One particular weekend, he was staying instead of going home because Leeds were playing Newcastle at home and his wife was coming down to see the game too. Thus, he got a different, bigger, room.Saturday night and all of us staff stayed for a lock-in. This was still in the days of the 10.30 closing time so it wouldn’t have been a particularly late lock-in.We were probably only on our second pint when from one of the rooms above came a hell of a thud, then another. Jokes were made about jumping from wardrobes etc but were then interrupted by the door at the top of the stares crashing open and much falling downstairs.Into the bar arrives Barrie, the guest, [in a state of undress and rapidly lessening arousal] followed by his semi naked wife.It turns out that they were doing what married people occasionally do when somebody had touched the sloe of Barry’s foot. His wife had looked over his shoulder to see a woman standing there. Barry to had turned around and looked at her only for the woman to vanish before their very eyes!This had prompted the stampede downstairs sans clothing!John, the manager had passed it off as another sighting of the resident spook but Barry and Mrs Barry were not so easily fobbed off. They had to be given another room for the night and left the following morning, Barry, never returning. This wasn’t the first incident like this that I can remember, nor was it the last, but it was the funniest!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I was told during the refurbishment of The prince of Wales that it is haunted by the ghost of a soldier.They had a picture of him in the bar,but whether it survived the place being repainted and changed I don't know as I haven't been in since.