haunted pubs

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks xyros - I have it now. My memory was confusing it possibly with Park View Flats - a strange building on the left between Elmsall and Kirkby Green - there had been some kind of mysterious tragedy there in the late 1990s but I can't remember what it was.Back to Secret Leeds though now - I could go on for ever on other topics but that won't do !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

xyros

Post by xyros »

that long block of flats opposite the tennis courts, don't think i've heard of anything goin on there. my dad used to own a couple of the units on the industrial estate behind them flats, wonder if he ever heard of anything there.anyways, i agree, enough off topicness and back to the haunted pubs

Steve Jones

Re: haunted pubs

Post by Steve Jones »

Now it is easy to look through threads i found this one i had forgotten.
Anybody heard whether The Old Red Lion on Marsh Lane still has the upstairs floor deserted partly because of the ghost?
I haven't been in for years.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

My Uncle Billy Leach used to be L andlord of the Smiths Arms on Marsh Lane about 1955 (I think) and the story in our family was that one night when they and staff were having a drink after time they saw what looked like an old lady dressed in full length old fashioned clothes walked along the end of the bar in the passage and then disappeared

In the mid 70s I used to use this pub when one lunch time I called in and the landlady and the barmaid were deep in conversation .earwigging I heard that the previous night the Landlord and a couple of regulars were having "afters" when they saw an old lady dressed in old fashioned clothing and very similar to the story I recounted earlier. this pub was extremely old (now demolished) and that it was said it was built over an old graveyard. I had never mentioned this story previously to the Landlord.

(Apologies if I have posted this before )
Last edited by j.c.d. on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritBoxAlan

Post by SpiritBoxAlan »

A/Z
Last edited by SpiritBoxAlan on Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

j.c.d. wrote:My Uncle Billy Leach used to be L andlord of the Smiths Arms on Marsh Lane about 1955 (I think) and the story in our family was that one night when they and staff were having a drink after time they saw what looked like an old lady dressed in full length old fashioned clothes walked along the end of the bar in the passage and then disappeared

In the mid 70s I used to use this pub when once lunch time I called in and the landlady and the barmaid were deep in conversation .earwigging I heard that the previous night the Landlord and a couple of regulars were having "afters" when they saw an old lady dressed in old fashioned clothing and very similar to the story I recounted earlier. this pub was extremely old (now demolished) and that it was said it was built over an old graveyard. I had never mentioned this story to the Landlord.

(Apologies if I have posted this before )
No grave yard down there I'm afraid. The nearest being the Parish church and the graveyard associated with St Peters non conformist chapel on Quarry Hill.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

SpiritBoxAlan

Post by SpiritBoxAlan »

A/Z
Last edited by SpiritBoxAlan on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Steve Jones wrote:Now it is easy to look through threads i found this one i had forgotten.
Anybody heard whether The Old Red Lion on Marsh Lane still has the upstairs floor deserted partly because of the ghost?
I haven't been in for years.

Don't remember this Pub ?. The Woodpecker, (possibly) The Railway and The Smiths Arms are the only ones I knew.
Last edited by j.c.d. on Wed 04 Mar, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

SpiritBoxAlan wrote:You dont need a graveyard to experience spirits and paranormal activity.Not that i can see one mentioned on the part of the thread you are replying to.(Thats for the previous post to mine.

I never believed in ghosts untill i came face to face with one!
Last sentence of the post i was replying to, which is copied above that reply says-

" this pub was extremely old (now demolished) and that it was said it was built over an old graveyard. I had never mentioned this story to the Landlord."

The location of the pub being referred to by this poster was not on a grave yard, that is what i was replying to.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Having been in a Wakefield pub the other night when something weird happened (7 glasses one after another fell off a straight shelf with nobody near0 and totally missing it as I was in the next room at Pagan moot, I wondered if there have been any new sightings,pub tales in Leeds?
Especially as we have a lot of new bars.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!