haunted pubs

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Belated answer to the last question,but yes,you can stay at The Black Swan.I have had some interesting evenings there.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I knew there was a thread on haunted pubs on here somewhere.any more cropped up lately?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leedsrich

Post by Leedsrich »

Not so sure this pub is haunted and i don't want to change the thread but this old pub in cawood, selby is well worth a visit, its called the castle, must be 300 years old. Drove out one day me and my fiance just to find a little old pub and try the food.... we've been returning since, a proper yorkshire mans pub, the meals there are all home made and very very hearty, no small pretty portions here! The steak and ale pie is amazing, and will fill the biggest of men as you get one each... on its own plate its that big! Along with plenty of seasonal veg, and all under £20 with drinks.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leedsrich wrote: Not so sure this pub is haunted and i don't want to change the thread but this old pub in cawood, selby is well worth a visit, its called the castle, must be 300 years old. Drove out one day me and my fiance just to find a little old pub and try the food.... we've been returning since, a proper yorkshire mans pub, the meals there are all home made and very very hearty, no small pretty portions here! The steak and ale pie is amazing, and will fill the biggest of men as you get one each... on its own plate its that big! Along with plenty of seasonal veg, and all under £20 with drinks. You should be their marketing manager. An advert like that would cost a fortune. I don't suppose they serve up a good plate of spam too lol?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leedsrich

Post by Leedsrich »

Lol cheers phill, i thought seen as its a really old pub and it serves proper food it deserves a mention. Not a fine dining place where your peas are carefully placed and counted! Proper yorkshire mans pub :-)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Steve Jones wrote: I knew there was a thread on haunted pubs on here somewhere.any more cropped up lately? I used to haunt many but not so much now.

Leedsrich

Post by Leedsrich »

One thats just sprung to mind is Harehills Labour Club, i used to be a glass collector/bottle boy there when i was 15. I remember going in the huge cellars when i had to bottle up with my mate, he had been there ages working and knew the club. He told me the cellars were haunted by a bloke and that he'd seen the ghost himself. Im not sure how true this is but my uncle was the landlord at the time and he seemed to agree this was true.Anyone know what was there before the club was built? Theres alot of victorian buildings nearby so there must have been something.

xyros

Post by xyros »

I got a few ghost stories from a pub i used to work in, it's closer to doncaster than it is leeds but it is still in the wakefield district so i hope it still counts lolThe Park Hotel in South Elmsall near PontefractIt was run by my sister's boyfriend's mum and stepdad at the time, my dad and mum were regulars in there for years before they became the landlordsFirst i'll give MY experiencesthere were 2 tills alltogether in the 2 rooms (tap room and the function room) and every single night at around 03:01 (usually) one or both would print a reciept of for "No Sale" they never formed a pattern and seemed very irregular as one would do it for 5 nights in a row then the other the next then none then both, sometimes it would have an order of drinks on it, sometimes it would do it 3 times in one night but there was definately no pattern to suggest some sort of glitch in the circuits of the tillcommemorative plates fell/were pushed from the top shelves (regulars would say "she's at it again" they called the spirit moira but i dont think there was just one) some taps would pump out the wrong drink (cider from bitter or lager from cider) even though i know i put the right one on and when i checked the right one was still onone night i was serving a customer and when i turned round to serve someone else i heard a scream from the ladies toilet everyone turned their heads to the door and watched one of the regulars walk very slowly towards the bar and asked "did you turn the lights off in the toilets". i didnt and tried to explain i was serving the customers and 3 other people confirmed this to her (i was the closest person to the light switches for the entire pub the whole time as well so i know no one was anywhere near them) she then went on to say when the lights went out she panicked and tried opening the door and it felt like someone was pushing back against the door when she tried opening it. no one else was in there with her and all 6 people who were in the pub all night were accounted for.the following are from other peoples experiences the first night the new managers stayed upstairs in the pub they were woken up early in the morning by the sound of a baby crying from downstairs, they went and woke my sister and her boyfriend (their son) and they were surprised they could sleep through it as it was very noticable even upstairs, the tried finding where the noise was coming from and eventually they traced it to the back room of the stage, they opened the door, the crying stopped and there was nothing but a few old band posters and some carpet offcuts. the crying baby could be heard every night for the next week after which they never heard it again. one of the old barstaff (one from the previous employer but stayed on after because she loved working there) told me of a stranger that came to the pub one night to see a few old friends (one was a regular and one didnt show up) after a few rounds the stranger came up to the bar and asked who was singing in the function room, the bartender told him no one was in there, the stranger sat down again and after a couple more rounds he approached the bar again and asked about the singing in the other room, he got a little angry when she told him no one was in there because he was adamant there was someone singing, the regular then came up and asked about it as well saying he could hear it as well at which point the bartender could hear it too, all of them went to find out and couldn't find anything. nothing was playing and the only way in or out was by the bar, which no one saw anyone walk by that hadn't been in the tap room all night.this last one is a bit wierd but i had 5 people confirm this.one sunday morning when everyone had woken up to start on the sunday dinners. the landlady walked into the function room through the archway behind the bar and noticed a helium balloon floating steadily between 2 tables, the balloon itself was about 3 feet above the tables but the string attached to it didnt touch the floor but dropped between the 2 tables. it was a little odd that a balloon would float in mid air but still remain static, not touching anything and no breeze to move the string, the landlady called to my sister to come and have a look, she thought it starnge and called her boyfriend over, eventually everyone in there was looking at this balloon. my sister's boyfriend decided he had enough of watching this wierd balloon and so did 2 of the others leaving my sister and the landlady to do whatever, before he could leave my sister clenched her hands around his arm and wouldn't let go. the ballon had started to move (did i mention there was no breeze) the string was pulled forward as if it was being guided and it was dodging between all the tables and chairs, everyone turned drip white as no one could explain it and after about 3 minutes of this balloon dancing between the furniture it stopped, straightened up and rose to the ceiling as if it had just been let gothese are just a few of the stories that have been told or have experienced myself. if i get chance i will put some more up on here    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

xyros wrote: I got a few ghost stories from a pub i used to work in, it's closer to doncaster than it is leeds but it is still in the wakefield district so i hope it still counts lolThe Park Hotel in South Elmsall near Pontefract That's a chilling and fascinating account xyros - until 2001 I used to drive buses through South Elmsall, but I can't just recall which was the Park Hotel so could you please pinpoint it for me ?? We had plenty of spooky experiences in "Emsall" but not of the nature you describe, and the ancient Battle of the "Kirby Lads and the Emsall Lads" re-erupted quite often !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

xyros

Post by xyros »

it's on mill lane, right at the top of the village, if you go up minsthorpe lane turn right at the barnsley oak and its like half way down that road.i've had plenty more experiences around there and there are a fair few chilling tales around there too (the upton tunnel and sharons spring comes to mind) yeah the kirkby and elmsall lads, plenty of fighting just because they live about a mile apart. i remember them in school as well when i went to minsthorpe community college and the abuse some people got just because they lived down the road. but they gave as much as they got so they weren't blameless themselves lol.to add to the stories of the area i remembered a few more in a few other pubs,george the poltergeist in the moorthorpe hotelthe ghosts of the westfield hotel (before it burnt down)cricket club (or the pit club) in kirkbycoronation club in kirkbytravellers inn in kirkbythough i didnt mention these before because i had only heard stories and they weren't as reliable as the park hotel was