Doctor That Took Children?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
joshuaaaronr

Doctor That Took Children?

Post by joshuaaaronr »

Hi!

First post and I literally created an account so I could ask about something that I'm not sure is real or my own imagination. I'm putting this in this thread because either it's not real and I made it up or I read it somewhere and it could just be an old scary story that went around.

I remember reading, somewhere, a long time ago, a story of a Doctor (maybe?) who would kidnap children from around Leeds. Possibly to some kind of hospital / mental hospital. As far as I can remember, this happened in the early half of the 20th century?

I'm hoping this is real or I'll have to be worried about my own mental state! The thing is I remember googling it and finding photos of this doctor and other stories about him so I'm even more confused!

Thanks in advance

Bruno

Re: Doctor That Took Children?

Post by Bruno »

Welcome to Secret Leeds, joshuaaaronr.

This is a long shot, as it’s not exactly kidnapping nor confined to Leeds, but could you be thinking about Dr Barnardo?

http://infed.org/mobi/thomas-john-barnardo-the-doctor/
The older I get, the better I was.

Troll

Post by Troll »

Has joshuaaaronr been kidnapped by the doctor?
Anyway I must say I have not heard of this before, but it could be real. Truth is stranger than fiction, or so they say.
Go the Rhinos.

Hel66

Post by Hel66 »

joshuaaaronr wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 3:44 pm
Hi!

First post and I literally created an account so I could ask about something that I'm not sure is real or my own imagination. I'm putting this in this thread because either it's not real and I made it up or I read it somewhere and it could just be an old scary story that went around.

I remember reading, somewhere, a long time ago, a story of a Doctor (maybe?) who would kidnap children from around Leeds. Possibly to some kind of hospital / mental hospital. As far as I can remember, this happened in the early half of the 20th century?

You didn't imagine it. It sounds very much like Samuel Wormald http://www.meanwoodpark.co.uk/people-a ... l-wormald/ who was the Executive Officer at Meanwood Park Hospital and 'rounded up' more than 2,000 people in the Leeds area to take them to the hospital. :o

tilly

Post by tilly »

What strikes me is how did he know who to pick up. it sounds like he was informed by either the family or the work place.I cant believe this was allowed to take place its not has though it was two or three hundred years ago.Then to let them out to lead a normal life after being inside in one case for 61 years, it never fails to surprise me what governments are capable of. This goes for all over the world even in this so called modern era people are being abused and this is called progress.There will always be those at the top and then the rest with one common denominator power and wealth.Nuff said.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

About 1960 My Brother and his wife finally got to adopt a ten year old girl from Meanwood Park. Peters twin daughters Lyn and Lisa worked part time there and among the children they really took to one girl "Melody" they said she was like a frightened rabbit, poor thing, They remarked that the few adults they came into looked like they were drugged up to the eyeball just sat around in chairs. Don't recall if this mite was called Melody originally but it took a lot of begging and cajoling plus getting a Lawyer to finally adopt her as her Mother was an alcholic and on drugs and for some reason would not sign the papers.
The Twins had been bringing her home weekends which she loved.
Some years later she took up a friendship with a local girl and they got a council flat. sadly she also succumbed to taking Drugs and finally commited suicide. My Brother and his wife Pat plus family were devastated. They were of the opinion that she was damaged originally being in that Home
When i Clicked on that Website above i am not afraid to say i was almost reduced to tears.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

I worked in the C.I.D. at Ireland Wood Police Station in 1967/68 and at Weetwood Police Station in 1986/88 and went to Meanwood Park Hospital several times because of complaints/allegations of theft, assault, wounding, rape and possible murder/manslaughter. I found it to be a depressing and sad place, albeit many of the patients/residents seemed to be quite happy. I noticed that many of them wore a type of crash helmet for protection against falling, others were physically disabled and some were in wheel chairs.

No matter what the complaint was (as above), it was hopeless trying to investigate as most of the complainants suffered from mental illnesses or were of very low I.Q. and were unreliable as witnesses, as were the perpetrators, and also the other witnesses. Often, there was usually no corroboration whatsoever by way of other witnesses, forensic evidence or otherwise.

I can remember carrying out enquiries, taking statements and submitting files for consideration for court proceedings but none of them ever got to court due to the unreliability of the complainants, the witnesses and the alleged offenders.

In one rape case there was ample forensic evidence as corroboration, for court purposes, but that case was not proceeded with either, due to the mental condition of the complainant and also the alleged offender.

Although many of the patients were mentally ill, they still had sexual feelings and desires. As a result there were often cases of indecent assault, unlawful sexual intercourse or rape and I am sure that in many cases there were no formal or informal complaints about these matters.

Even if any of these cases had ever gone to court there would have been little that could have been done in the event of a person being convicted of an offence except probably for murder or manslaughter, and even then they would probably have only been transferred to a Hospital Prison.

Unfortunately, although I am sure that most of the allegations were probably genuine, doing enquiries, interviewing people and preparing files and reports was just a paper exercise, which my colleagues and I knew from the outset.

It was so very, very sad. No doubt the same problems and difficulties occur at all similar establishments throughout the country. I came across a lot of dedicated staff who I admired for what they did, but I also felt very sorry for them too.

There is already another thread about Meanwood Park Hospital here :

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=590

Hel66

Post by Hel66 »

It's altogether a vey sad subject.

My aunt (who I always remember as a little odd but that's by the by) used to work there and would bring a Downs Syndrome girl home for the weekend sometimes. This would never be allowed now, no matter how well meaning the intentions.

My own experience of MPH is when I was at college (Czar Street studying for my NNEB in childcare in the 1980's) and we did a day visit there. We were shown around and I witnessed a lady who was clearly distressed being held down whilst a member of staff changed her sanitary pad. As a 17 year old I found it quite abhorrant that this girl/lady had no privacy and we were all walking past whilst this was happening.

My mum, who used to work for Leeds Children's Services in the 1960's but volunteered to go help patients to do things like jigsaws had a similar experience. She didn't accept the (voluntary) job! A shame really because she would have been so different with them...but I suppose it scared people off.