butcher hill/West park

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
iggypopfan

butcher hill/West park

Post by iggypopfan »

Hi all.....I am new to the area and live in West park ....been reading the ghost and spook stories and thoroughly enjoying them. I wonder if anyone knows any connected with my area? Nothing spooky has happened yet ......I did have a few in my old houses both in Edinburgh ((bathroom door bolting from inside...no one in bathroom! ..footsteps in hall...shadow through glass door etc....found out later about a spirit of a wrongly hanged man who haunted the small cil de sac where I lived))and my last home in Fife. ...heavy oppressive atmosphere..lights on and off..cold spots---skeleton of Cromwell ian era soldier found when building the houses c 1970....so far this house has no feeling of gloom and negative atmosphere.

volvojack

Re: butcher hill/West park

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning, I think you will get quite a few diverse reply's . all I can offer is concerning your last line , so far.........
is to try the Hark To Rover Pub midweek.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Hark to Rover's been closed a good while...
Come on Leeds United!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

sparky415 wrote:Hark to Rover's been closed a good while...
Not surprised, went to a reunion some years ago on a evening and we were the only people in there apart from the barman and one other person
Originally I went in the week it opened and it had most unlike atmosphere for a Pub even then.

iggypopfan

Post by iggypopfan »

Sounds like my old local.....If you add scenes from the film "deliverance"!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Ashamed to say that although I live less than a mile away, and I know where Hark to Rover cottages are, I can't remember the pub at all - could someone say where it was please ?? Oh, just a thought, was it in the modern parade of shops at the bottom of Spen Lane ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

That's it Blakey, on Spen Lane between Spen Approach and Ghyll Road. It used to be a parade of four shops back in the 60s.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jdbythesea wrote:That's it Blakey, on Spen Lane between Spen Approach and Ghyll Road. It used to be a parade of four shops back in the 60s.
Many thanks jdbythesea - a bit strange that it didn't thrive with a heavily populated catchment area like that :? :? , but then I suppose it wasn't too far to stroll to the Duttons Arms or the Dalesman and others. I was going to say that perhaps the Prohibition Movement was strong around there but I don't think so !! :oops: :oops:
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

I had some great nights in the hark., Lock Ins were the order of the day and after a session in Horsforth, and if we hadn't pulled, we'd get a 'joe baxi' to the hark and let the party begin. Very good days and, in the grand scheme of things, not too long ago either.
Lots of Hawki girls in there, some rough, some not so rough. Always plenty of 'different ' people in there, which made it a gold mine for an avid people watcher like myself...
Actually, I had my first pint in there, got taken out by the older local lads, and i think i had three pints. They didn't stay in my stomach for long. One of the lads dropped me off home in his Capri, after sinking a number of pints......Aahh the good old, old days.....
Come on Leeds United!