Gruesome Tales & Discoveries

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Hazman

Post by Hazman »

Geordi wrote: cnosni wrote: Any one remember the story of a bloke wheeling round the body of someone he had murdered in a shopping trolley(i think) down near the area around Crown point bridge /Smiths arms during the early eighties i think.Seem to remember that he was stopped by the Rozzers and the bloke told him his mate was drunk and was wheeling him home!! Yeah I remember that, me and a mate was at the calls as he went by with the barrow, just thought P***heads. Until it turned up on the news. Oh yes someone I know very well and his mate stumbled across this bloke with the wheelbarrow after an innocent bystander had offered to help him.When the two 'bemused drinkers',as was reported in the paper,approached he dropped the wheelbarrow and its contents and ran off.Any how the three poor souls ended up having to answer several rounds of questions for the next several hours explaining their innocence.    
"On the Leeds side-streets that you slip downProvincial towns you jog 'round"

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Phill_d wrote: Yes i've a tale of a murder i once witnessed as a VERY young lad made even more gruesome by the fact it could have been a Yorkshire ripper attack. It all happened as i was coming home from a day trip to Scarborough, As we passed over the embankment near the parish church i saw out of the window this guy absolutely battering this woman to the floor right at the top of the embankement next to the lineside, It was only the quickest glimpse as the train was on the move & it was getting dark. Oh mam... That mans hitting the lady i remember shouting but by then we had passed. Next day on the news she had indeed been murdered. The police were called but i was obviously to young to tell them anything but at least they could get the time when it happened from the trains arrival. I've often wondered who she was & have been trying to find out for a while when i found the article about her. For some reason there seems to be a conflict of dates. One 1968 & the other is 1970. I can deffinately say it wasn't 1968 as i was only 1yr old then. The murderer was never caught, Allegedly Peter Suttcliffe was quizzed about this attack by Kieth Hellewell the Chief Constable of West Yorkshire police while serving his sentence in prison along with other attacks a few years ago as this murder was on the 'Highely likely Ripper list' His first known attack was the 'stone in the sock' incident in Kieghley in 1969. Sutcliffe has always maintained he's responsible for other murders & will confess all for his movement to an open prison in readiness for an early realise! Fat chance of that so i'll never find out if it was him. Anyway the woman concerned was a 43yr old prostitute called Mary Judge, The article is here & the 1968 date is deffinately wrong http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/otherv.htm Hi Phill_d,I have just discovered this site and only just joined. So far as relates to the Mary Judge murder, the offence was committed at about 10.10pm on 26th February 1968. I was a young detective at the time in the Leeds City Police and it was the first murder enquiry I was involved with. As far as I am aware, the scene was not alongside the railway line, or on top of the embankment, but near to Leeds Parish Church and the victim's head was placed on a low wall and beaten with a brick. She was identified by fingerprints (she had a criminal record) as she was unrecognisable. I believe that there was a witness on a train who saw the incident as the train past by. I think that the case remains undetected but there was a suspect called O'Rourke who was interviewed but never charged with anything to do with the murder. I believe that he had been a client and was one of the last people to see her alive. They had both been in the pubs in Kirkgate until just before the murder.Ian.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

iansmithofotley wrote: Phill_d wrote: Yes i've a tale of a murder i once witnessed as a VERY young lad made even more gruesome by the fact it could have been a Yorkshire ripper attack. It all happened as i was coming home from a day trip to Scarborough, As we passed over the embankment near the parish church i saw out of the window this guy absolutely battering this woman to the floor right at the top of the embankement next to the lineside, It was only the quickest glimpse as the train was on the move & it was getting dark. Oh mam... That mans hitting the lady i remember shouting but by then we had passed. Next day on the news she had indeed been murdered. The police were called but i was obviously to young to tell them anything but at least they could get the time when it happened from the trains arrival. I've often wondered who she was & have been trying to find out for a while when i found the article about her. For some reason there seems to be a conflict of dates. One 1968 & the other is 1970. I can deffinately say it wasn't 1968 as i was only 1yr old then. The murderer was never caught, Allegedly Peter Suttcliffe was quizzed about this attack by Kieth Hellewell the Chief Constable of West Yorkshire police while serving his sentence in prison along with other attacks a few years ago as this murder was on the 'Highely likely Ripper list' His first known attack was the 'stone in the sock' incident in Kieghley in 1969. Sutcliffe has always maintained he's responsible for other murders & will confess all for his movement to an open prison in readiness for an early realise! Fat chance of that so i'll never find out if it was him. Anyway the woman concerned was a 43yr old prostitute called Mary Judge, The article is here & the 1968 date is deffinately wrong http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/otherv.htm Hi Phill_d,I have just discovered this site and only just joined. So far as relates to the Mary Judge murder, the offence was committed at about 10.10pm on 26th February 1968. I was a young detective at the time in the Leeds City Police and it was the first murder enquiry I was involved with. As far as I am aware, the scene was not alongside the railway line, or on top of the embankment, but near to Leeds Parish Church and the victim's head was placed on a low wall and beaten with a brick. She was identified by fingerprints (she had a criminal record) as she was unrecognisable. I believe that there was a witness on a train who saw the incident as the train past by. I think that the case remains undetected but there was a suspect called O'Rourke who was interviewed but never charged with anything to do with the murder. I believe that he had been a client and was one of the last people to see her alive. They had both been in the pubs in Kirkgate until just before the murder.Ian. WRT Mary Judge. An old school friend's father was a bus driver driving buses out of Leeds bus station and knew her well, as I suppose they all would have done. He said all of Leeds must have known her, she wasn't much good, but she didn't deserve to die like that.In 1968 I was in Leeds and in a position to discuss it with friends and relatives, in 1970 I was away working in London. The news would have scarcely reached there.My mother said we could have well have been "distantly related" to Mary Judge. It seems Mary Judge was "distantly related" to a fair proportion of the population of Leeds.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

liits

Post by liits »

[I've posted this before, on a thread about the bus station on Wellington St] One of the buildings that fronted onto Wellington St had been empty for many years following a fire. When it eventualy came up for redevelopment [as opposed to being pulled down] some time in the late 70's, a mummified body was found inside one of the chimneys. It was, as far as I can recall, never discovered if the person had been murdered and shoved up the chimney or if they had died while stuck in the chimney but it was established that they had not died in the fire which had gutted the building. Odd.    

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Moved to Ghosts and goblins section.Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

This aint murder but last year around august time, There was me and my mate in his car, and my girlfriend and his girlfriend in their car following us. We were on our way to otley that night at about 10pm, i told my mate to pull into golden acre car park (the big one) as id had a few pints at pub and needed to go wee! Anyway as we pulled in and drove past a car, i noticed a bloke sat in a car that was parked up, and he looked to be shaking pretty violently, but his eyes were closed as if he was sleeping. So as the girls pulled in, they saw it too, so i got out of the car and said i was gonna go see if the guy was okay, but the girls were adamant for me not to go near him as it was a bit strange. Anyway following night we were all stopping at my uncles house in miggy, and we told my uncle what we had saw, straight away his face dropped to the floor and passed us the evening post and said 'look at that'. We were shocked to read that ''last night a man was found dead in his silver volvo estate due to an overdose in golden acre park car park''!! We must have saw his body fitting just as he died.

Yorkshireranger

Post by Yorkshireranger »

I used to work for the forensic doctors, who were employed by the Police, once went out to Otley/Ben Rhyding, where human remains were found, it turned out that the area had been landscaped using soil that had previously been in a grave yard, the human leg bone, had somehow not been reburried as it should have been.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

About 10 years ago, there was a woman who was done in and her body dumped and set on fire at Burley Park Railway station. The bit that always scares me about it is that the killer was apparently seen on his way to dump the body, it was still fresh 'cos he'd had it refrigerated and went down Cardigen Road (or is it Lane) with it making like it was his drunk girlfriend They never got anyone for that, though i always wondered about the dude they got for the murder of that Leanne girl a couple of years ago, i seem to remember that her body had been refridgerated after death and before dumping as well.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Rich87 wrote: This aint murder but ... We were on our way to otley that night at about 10pm, i told my mate to pull into golden acre car park... ... Anyway as we pulled in and drove past a car, i noticed a bloke sat in a car that was parked up, and he looked to be shaking pretty violently, but his eyes were closed as if he was sleeping...We were shocked to read that ''last night a man was found dead in his silver volvo estate due to an overdose in golden acre park car park''!! We must have saw his body fitting just as he died. Heh. Apparently, Golden Acre park is a prime spot for 'dogging' activities. (If you don't know what it is, just Google it).You may just have come across a bloke in the throes of ecstasy! So to speak... CheersDave    
Northern Earth Walks

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

Lol yeah i know its a doggin site, but that aint what we was there for im 20 and my gf was there lol!! I aint no swinger or dogger!!Anyway it was the guy that had killed himself because we all remembered the car he was in, thats why we were shocked when we read the newspaper article about it! Cheers!