Leeds Folklore tales

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Jogon
PostsCOLON 3036
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:20 pm

Although they're near, I don't much bother with 'Adel Woods'/Stairfoot Ln, I find them too rocky, too wet, too steep.

Preferring either Scotland Wood MVTrail to the south (on a bus route for return up-hill leg) or (just north) enter Adel Dam via Running Syke.

That's just on the main Roman Road so don't go at night lest you witness....etc
Attachments
__TFMF_sb33jwnltxwflp55ioi1urjm_6d1dc578-e039-4104-adfd-3b4edd050f4e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_sb33jwnltxwflp55ioi1urjm_6d1dc578-e039-4104-adfd-3b4edd050f4e_0_main.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
grumpybloke
PostsCOLON 180
JoinedCOLON Sat 25 Sep, 2010 6:44 pm

Postby grumpybloke » Thu 02 May, 2013 11:28 pm

As far as recall I haven't been on Stairfoot Lane for about 35 years, I must have a drive around sometime. I remember one day coming down it on my trusty BSA Bantam in very thick fog and I couldn't keep my balance. I realised later that it must have been because the refence points were obscured by the fog and there was nothing to focus on. I'm damn glad I didn't know about the ghost that day!
User avatar
Croggy1
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 176
JoinedCOLON Fri 28 Dec, 2012 6:46 pm

Postby Croggy1 » Fri 17 May, 2013 12:16 pm

There is a new book coming out, according to the YEP.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/leeds-boggarts-ghost-dogs-and-secret-passages-1-5664065

A few of the featured items seem familiar from somewhere!

However, regarding the boggarts section
Quote:
A whole council estate in Seacroft, Leeds, inherited the name from the now-demolished house on whose site it stands.


Was there a large House of this name in the area?
User avatar
Steve Jones
PostsCOLON 1472
JoinedCOLON Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:41 pm
LocationCOLON Wakefield

Postby Steve Jones » Fri 17 May, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks Croggy.I knew about the book but haven't seen it yet.I am just reading his haunted huddersfield book and he has done an interesting one "grave matters" about Robin Hood's alleged grave in Mirfield.
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Richard A Thackeray
PostsCOLON 332
JoinedCOLON Mon 13 Apr, 2009 6:01 am
LocationCOLON Normanton, Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Richard A Thackeray » Fri 17 May, 2013 7:32 pm

Steve Jones wrote:
In fact Cholera victims are more likely as there were many bad outbreaks in the 19th century.A similar story is told about an area next to wakefield cathedral.


I'm guessing that it's the area between the Cathedral & 'The Raven' pub

I've been told, by someone (reliable) who was a regular at said hostelry, that quite a few years ago, part of the cellar wall collapsed & human bones were found in the earth that was visible.
User avatar
Steve Jones
PostsCOLON 1472
JoinedCOLON Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:41 pm
LocationCOLON Wakefield

Postby Steve Jones » Fri 17 May, 2013 8:31 pm

RichT wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:
In fact Cholera victims are more likely as there were many bad outbreaks in the 19th century.A similar story is told about an area next to wakefield cathedral.


I'm guessing that it's the area between the Cathedral & 'The Raven' pub

I've been told, by someone (reliable) who was a regular at said hostelry, that quite a few years ago, part of the cellar wall collapsed & human bones were found in the earth that was visible.

Correct,I was actually told it by someone who had researched epidemics.I usually mention it when doing one of my "Weird Wakefield" walks.
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!
Richard A Thackeray
PostsCOLON 332
JoinedCOLON Mon 13 Apr, 2009 6:01 am
LocationCOLON Normanton, Wakefield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Richard A Thackeray » Sat 18 May, 2013 9:48 pm

Steve Jones wrote:
Correct,I was actually told it by someone who had researched epidemics.I usually mention it when doing one of my "Weird Wakefield" walks.

Steve, I'd be quite interested in knowing when you're doing these, so I could join up
User avatar
Steve Jones
PostsCOLON 1472
JoinedCOLON Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:41 pm
LocationCOLON Wakefield

Postby Steve Jones » Sat 01 Jun, 2013 5:28 pm

Whilst looking around Adel Woods last Saturday with a Pagan friend who grew up in meanwood and played around both areas as a child,he told me about a folk story of Adel Woods being haunted by a mad axeman who had supposedly killed all his family in one of the cottages near the woods and then fled into the woods.
my friend told me that as a child this tale had morphed into the axeman still lurking in the woods complete with axe ready to chop up any unsuspecting children or adults who wandered through them.Anybody else heard this tale or one similar?
It has a lot of classic urban legend about it, but my friend thought it was based on a real murder of the early 20th century.he couldn't tell me which one though.
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

grumpybloke
PostsCOLON 180
JoinedCOLON Sat 25 Sep, 2010 6:44 pm

Postby grumpybloke » Mon 03 Jun, 2013 11:23 am

grumpybloke wrote:
As far as recall I haven't been on Stairfoot Lane for about 35 years, I must have a drive around sometime. I remember one day coming down it on my trusty BSA Bantam in very thick fog and I couldn't keep my balance. I realised later that it must have been because the refence points were obscured by the fog and there was nothing to focus on. I'm damn glad I didn't know about the ghost that day!


I made a point of going there last week...no ghosts though. I know it must be a bit frightening but it would be very interesting at the same time!

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests