Brayton Grange

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

In the 90s I lived on eleventh floor of Brayton Grange, a two bed flat with large kitchen, living room and separate bathroom and toilet, it had a large L shaped hallway.One night just before Christmas my then girlfriend went out for the night and I walked down from my parents house on Sherburn Road to our empty flat to erect some flat packed furniture.Clutching one light bulb and a set of Allen keys I made my way through the snow and entered the block, I unlocked the door to the flat and even locked it behind me, the flat was pitch dark.Feeling my way along the walls to the living room I struggled to fit the light bulb and then put on the light.I built up one chair and started on the other, my mind was on nothing else but getting this fiddly job done when all of a sudden the room became really still and silent, all I could see was my refection in the large window and the snow falling past but something told me I wasn't alone and I should get out fast.Looking into the dark hallway was not an inviting sight, the front door was around the corner at the very end and it was locked.I knew that as soon as I switched of the living room light I was in total darkness, not only that, the four doors leading into the other rooms were open and I would have to feel past them.Deciding I should go unlock the door first and leave it open I set off quickly up the hallway, I unlocked the door and tried to keep it open, it would slowly close when I let go.Walking back to the lounge I had one finger on the light switch and I was in a sort of marks get set RUN! position.I switched off the light and run, I expected the door to slam closed when I reached it but didn't, I made my way home and never mentioned it to anyone.That wasn't the end to it, after moving in we would hear light switches in other rooms click on and off and you would feel something there with you, something that didn't want you there, our dog would bark and run from things in the flat,one night a shelf fell of the wall but left the brackets untouched, the keys were swaying in the front door as if it had been closed quickly, thinking someone had ran out of the flat I grabbed the door handle to take chase only to find it locked, returning to the bedroom, my girlfriend was awake and wondering what was going on when from behind me someone knocked on the bedroom door, we stayed awake that night.At times it was terrifying but we did miss the flat when we left, we did learn it had been on fire before we moved in, it burnt again weeks after we left and it was never lived in again.I would walk past the flat on my way to work and the windows we always steamed up even in summer.It is now Demolished
Born in Leeds 14 now lives in cumbria

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Good story there, it had you on edge reading it But a lot of those things are easily explained. Living in flats I know too well how much they move about, in very windy weather you can actually see water in the sink move from side to side. It's enough to make keys sway in a door. Also a lot of vibration travels through hi rise buildings, especially of the pre-cast type construction. The steamy windows are a result of the seals in the window frame being life expired, the result is the glass steaming up, worse in summer.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Good story there, it had you on edge reading it But a lot of those things are easily explained. Living in flats I know to well how much they move about, in very windy weather you can actually see water in the sink move from side to side. It's enough to make keys sway in a door. Also a lot of vibration travels through hi rise buildings, especially of the pre-cast type construction. The steamy windows are a result of the seals in the window frame being life expired, the result is the glass steaming up, worse in summerhttp://www.distinguishedwindows.co.uk/window-g ... after.html         Yes,an interesting story DavidB.....can vouch for the keys though.Even in my humble terrace abode....the keys jangle whilst in the lock sometimes......other times you can watch them gently swaying about.Windows can be down to condensation/lack of airing....cold outside air hits warmer window and that's what you get unless well ventilated.I should know.....i'm sick of wiping the moisture away of late that collects particularly around the base of the windows !BTW Phill,got yourself a new "tag" ?
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

somme1916 wrote: BTW Phill,got yourself a new "tag" ? 10 out 0f 10 for observation Somme, occasionally I change my sign off signature yes     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: somme1916 wrote: BTW Phill,got yourself a new "tag" ? 10 out 0f 10 for observation Somme, occasionally I change my sign off signature yes      I shuda been a copper !

Caron

Post by Caron »

Phill_dvsn wrote: somme1916 wrote: BTW Phill,got yourself a new "tag" ? 10 out 0f 10 for observation Somme, occasionally I change my sign off signature yes      (Words taken from the Beatles song,"Revolution")     

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Phill and Somme are quite right of course. Even so, David's tale would make a very good modern Christmas ghost story.

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

jdbythesea wrote: Phill and Somme are quite right of course. Even so, David's tale would make a very good modern Christmas ghost story. Thanks everyone, I don't believe in Ghosts, I have no idea why I got the feeling the first time as all I could think of was getting the stuff fitted together and get out as there was no heating and I was frozen.I guess the rest was just us, things pray on your mind but the dog is a strange one, he would bark and growl an nothing and run from something, he never did it again when we moved.Its because of the dog I remember this story, he just died at the age of 15 and I've been thinking about the past.Reading that tale back it would make a good modern ghost story, an angry ghost in a tower block who wants the new tenants out.I have no idea if anyone died in the flat when it was on fire but our neighbours were reluctant to tell us anything, apart from the flat was beautiful inside before the fire.It was new plaster and ceilings when we moved in.I think the windows will be because of the fire? they were old single glazed ones with aluminium frames and like I said nobody lived there again, it was never repaired, its fate may have been sealed by then.I watched as most did the day it was blown up, it was a great Block, we never had a spider or fly up there but Bats would fly around the top every night.We moved onto Stanks Drive then onto Kippax after that, I now live in the Lakes but the interest and history of Leeds is still with me.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

DavidB1973 wrote: jdbythesea wrote: Phill and Somme are quite right of course. Even so, David's tale would make a very good modern Christmas ghost story. Thanks everyone, I don't believe in Ghosts, I have no idea why I got the feeling the first time as all I could think of was getting the stuff fitted together and get out as there was no heating and I was frozen.I guess the rest was just us, things pray on your mind but the dog is a strange one, he would bark and growl an nothing and run from something, he never did it again when we moved.Its because of the dog I remember this story, he just died at the age of 15 and I've been thinking about the past.Reading that tale back it would make a good modern ghost story, an angry ghost in a tower block who wants the new tenants out.I have no idea if anyone died in the flat when it was on fire but our neighbours were reluctant to tell us anything, apart from the flat was beautiful inside before the fire.It was new plaster and ceilings when we moved in.I think the windows will be because of the fire? they were old single glazed ones with aluminium frames and like I said nobody lived there again, it was never repaired, its fate may have been sealed by then.I watched as most did the day it was blown up, it was a great Block, we never had a spider or fly up there but Bats would fly around the top every night.We moved onto Stanks Drive then onto Kippax after that, I now live in the Lakes but the interest and history of Leeds is still with me. Hi DavidB:Lovely part of the world up there (lakes/cumbria area).

DavidB1973

Post by DavidB1973 »

[quotenick="somme1916"] DavidB1973 wrote: jdbythesea wrote: Phill and Somme are quite right of course. Even so, David's tale would make a very good modern Christmas ghost story. Hi DavidB:Lovely part of the world up there (lakes/cumbria area). Thank you, it sure is, bad in winter but lovely too.Sadly I don't get to Leeds these days but I'm enjoying this forum :-)