Have you had a Paranormal experience?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 11:20 am

Bruno wrote:
There are two farms Somme, one each side of the road, the entrances are nearly opposite each other. And I did used to take the left turn at the bottom of the hill, so I know what you mean.


Never noticed the other farm Bruno,was usually bit dark Laugh
It's some road is that ! You'll have gone (round the bend) to the crossing just up from the old Coalite factory at the bottom of Royston then and over the road through Shafton.....past Grimethorpe,along the A6195 by pass to the small roundabout,turned right down the hill to the bigger roundabout,left at this and lo,the huge old Wath Manvers complex,now built up as mainly call centres,on what was formerly one of the most polluted bits of land in the UK,passing past 5/6 old colliery sites along the way from the "chivvy" as the locals would call it.(Chevet Lane...that is).
Cheers for the story,brought a few memories back.
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !
User avatar
Steve Jones
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Wakefield

Postby Steve Jones » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for the Chevet lane stories.That road is the scene of many fatal crashes and one of the most dangerous for driving due to people speeding and then losing it on corners.i hadn't heard of any sightings so can now add this one to my knowledge.
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 11:34 am

A more Leeds based experience happened about 20 years ago.I was dating a girl from Rothwell at the time....she'd gone shopping one Saturday afternoon in town with her mam,whilst I met up with a few pals in a pub in Rothwell.
Someone came in and started talking to somebody sat behind us.I don't know why but I was drawn to them and what they said.They mentioned a bad car accident up by the car auction place off Leeds Rd.(John 'O Gaunts).A car had gone up Styebank Lane to the junction with Leeds Rd (A639) and been involved in a a collision with a car at the junction of the two.
I immediately felt the urge to contact my g/f so tried her mobile.Try as I might,I could not get her to answer.I knew there was a connection somehow with what had transpired.
I went round to her house locally and eventually she returned in floods of tears and talking about her gran and grandad.....I said I knew what had happened but she couldn't fathom out how as they'd just got the call from the emergency services.Well,I said nothing at the time......thinking it would save under the sad circumstances.
The unfortunate couple were taken to Pinderfields at Wakefield.....the lady survived but sadly,the chap didn't,having clung to life for several days.My g/f told me later that the clock in their house stopped the very minute he lost his fight for life.
One of life's very memorable,strange experiences which I will never forget.    
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !
lmhowe50
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu 18 Oct, 2012 6:27 pm

Postby lmhowe50 » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 6:04 pm

When my mum married my step dad ,his friend who lived facing us could not go to the wedding, he was going to reception,it been an addult affair his 2 younger sons went to stay with their older sister who lived on estate. They also took their 3 dogs On way to reception their dad was killed outright after been hit by a car Apparantly the dogs took to barking and howling same time this happened They had been dedicated to their master

Bruno
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:54 am

Postby Bruno » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 11:46 pm

Come on folks, I've dropped enough hints, is nobody going to ask me about Hollyshaw Lane?
The older I get, the better I was.
Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 12:34 am

Bruno wrote:
Come on folks, I've dropped enough hints, is nobody going to ask me about Hollyshaw Lane?


What was it you saw in Hollyshaw Lane Bruno?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 2:04 pm

Johnny39 wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Come on folks, I've dropped enough hints, is nobody going to ask me about Hollyshaw Lane?


What was it you saw in Hollyshaw Lane Bruno?


Bruno's keeping you in suspenders now Johnny.....unless he's gone to a really dark place ! Oooerr
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !
Johnny39
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon 11 Jun, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Johnny39 » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 2:10 pm

somme1916 wrote:
Johnny39 wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Come on folks, I've dropped enough hints, is nobody going to ask me about Hollyshaw Lane?


What was it you saw in Hollyshaw Lane Bruno?


Bruno's keeping you in suspenders now Johnny.....unless he's gone to a really dark place ! Oooerr


It certainly would appear so Somme. Unless of course he took one too many walks down Hollyshaw Lane, whooooh!!! Is there anybody there?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Bruno
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:54 am

Postby Bruno » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 11:29 pm

The year was 1978.

I was a young man, seeing my first girlfriend.  She lived in one of the large stone-built Victorian semi-detached houses in the Hollyshaw Lane area of Whitkirk.

One evening my girlfriend and I were alone together in the front room of the house.  Due to the (how can I put this on a respectable board?) erm... Due to the configuration in which  we found ourselves on the sofa, I was looking over her shoulder, and she was facing the opposite direction.  I looked in to the main area of the room and saw, sitting three or four feet away in an armchair, an elderly gentleman with a peaceful look of contentment on his face. 

He was dressed in a brown tweed suit, with a gold watch chain across the waistcoat, and he was wearing a white shirt and brown tie.  On his feet were polished brown brogues.  He had greying hair, thin on top of his head, and he was wearing spectacles with round lenses.  I would have guessed he was in the region of 70 years old, and his appearance seemed to me to be typical of the inter-war period.  He looked entirely solid and real, sitting there with the glow of a small table lamp falling upon him.

I was so shocked by what I was seeing that I had time to look him up and down, and take in the detail I have described above.  Although it seems strange to report, I didn't feel scared - his general appearance just seemed to exude benevolence.  I looked at him for what seemed like minutes, probably in reality just a few moments, then I closed my eyes tight for a couple of seconds before re-opening them.  He had gone.

Obviously I wasn't alone when this was going on, my girlfriend was right there with me, but she didn't see anything, so with some effort I managed to stay reasonably calm and not mention what I had just seen; this was her home after all, and I didn't want to scare her half to death.

I managed not to talk about what had happened to my girlfriend or her family, although I was always slightly 'on the lookout' when we were in that room.

Several months went by, and I had begun to wonder if I had imagined what I had seen.  

One bright and sunny afternoon, I went into the room to fetch a cassette tape from the shelf.  I rounded the door and found myself looking straight at the man again, only this time he had his back to me, as he was standing in the bay window looking out.  In the strong sunlight, I noticed that he was very slightly transparent.  As daft as it sounds, I recall saying "Sorry!" before turning straight back around and leaving the room, without the tape I had gone in for.

I never told my girlfriend or her family about this encounter, just as I had never discussed the first sighting.

After a year or two, my girlfriend and I went our separate ways, as teenagers do.   She went off to work abroad.  However, about ten years later, I bumped into her in the pub.  We sat down together to catch up and chat about old times.

I asked her if her mother still lived in the same house, and she told me no, her mum had moved to smaller place when her children had all left home.  I thought that this would be an appropriate time to tell her about the phantom which only I had encountered in her old home, so I recounted the events I have just described above.  I could never had predicted her response.

"Oh, so you saw old Fred after all, did you?  We wondered how you managed to miss him when we saw him so often, but we didn't want to frighten you off by telling you about him.  We thought perhaps he only appeared to women."
The older I get, the better I was.
somme1916
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm

Postby somme1916 » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 11:41 pm

Bruno wrote:
The year was 1978.

I was a young man, seeing my first girlfriend.  She lived in one of the large stone-built Victorian semi-detached houses in the Hollyshaw Lane area of Whitkirk.

One evening my girlfriend and I were alone together in the front room of the house.  Due to the (how can I put this on a respectable board?) erm... Due to the configuration in which  we found ourselves on the sofa, I was looking over her shoulder, and she was facing the opposite direction.  I looked in to the main area of the room and saw, sitting three or four feet away in an armchair, an elderly gentleman with a peaceful look of contentment on his face. 

He was dressed in a brown tweed suit, with a gold watch chain across the waistcoat, and he was wearing a white shirt and brown tie.  On his feet were polished brown brogues.  He had greying hair, thin on top of his head, and he was wearing spectacles with round lenses.  I would have guessed he was in the region of 70 years old, and his appearance seemed to me to be typical of the inter-war period.  He looked entirely solid and real, sitting there with the glow of a small table lamp falling upon him.

I was so shocked by what I was seeing that I had time to look him up and down, and take in the detail I have described above.  Although it seems strange to report, I didn't feel scared - his general appearance just seemed to exude benevolence.  I looked at him for what seemed like minutes, probably in reality just a few moments, then I closed my eyes tight for a couple of seconds before re-opening them.  He had gone.

Obviously I wasn't alone when this was going on, my girlfriend was right there with me, but she didn't see anything, so with some effort I managed to stay reasonably calm and not mention what I had just seen; this was her home after all, and I didn't want to scare her half to death.

I managed not to talk about what had happened to my girlfriend or her family, although I was always slightly 'on the lookout' when we were in that room.

Several months went by, and I had begun to wonder if I had imagined what I had seen.  

One bright and sunny afternoon, I went into the room to fetch a cassette tape from the shelf.  I rounded the door and found myself looking straight at the man again, only this time he had his back to me, as he was standing in the bay window looking out.  In the strong sunlight, I noticed that he was very slightly transparent.  As daft as it sounds, I recall saying "Sorry!" before turning straight back around and leaving the room, without the tape I had gone in for.

I never told my girlfriend or her family about this encounter, just as I had never discussed the first sighting.

After a year or two, my girlfriend and I went our separate ways, as teenagers do.   She went off to work abroad.  However, about ten years later, I bumped into her in the pub.  We sat down together to catch up and chat about old times.

I asked her if her mother still lived in the same house, and she told me no, her mum had moved to smaller place when her children had all left home.  I thought that this would be an appropriate time to tell her about the phantom which only I had encountered in her old home, so I recounted the events I have just described above.  I could never had predicted her response.

"Oh, so you saw old Fred after all, did you?  We wondered how you managed to miss him when we saw him so often, but we didn't want to frighten you off by telling you about him.  We thought perhaps he only appeared to women."


Ah but Bruno,what we all want to know is did you still manage to.....oh never mind......!
Thanks for the story,was worth the wait.........at least you are back "with us".Me and Johnny were a bit worried.
It's surprising for some just how common these occurrences are.
        
I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5 and 0 guests