Have you had a Paranormal experience?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I remember when I used to live in Morley there was a rumour about the old Morley Hall been haunted by the ghost of a 'grey lady', several decades ago the place was a maternity hospital for Morley's expectant mothers, and I know of a few ladies who claimed to have seen this ghostly spectre while they were staying there. Also there are tales of eerie apparitions all between Adwalton Moor and Howley Hall ruins - terribly wounded soldiers from the civil war era seen / heard wandering across the old battlefield area. I can remember that as a youngster we'd hang around in Spring Wood just between Morley and Gildersome, more known to Secret Leeds'ers as the site of the Gildersome Tunnel entrance, we were told that the Gildersome Tunnel was haunted because it had been the site of a terrible railway accident and that on dark winters nights the screams of agony from the dying and injured passengers could be heard from the entrance to the tunnel in its lonely woodland spot. However years later I found this to be a complete fabrication probably made up to keep kids away from the place, but it still scared us silly when playing out in them woods late at night.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Dear Mr BRUNO Thank you for your email regarding the Leodis image ID: 2002327_283449. I have checked a map and you are right - the houses seen in the background of the picture are definitely those in Hollyshaw Walk so I have now corrected the information on the website. Thank you very much for your help, With kind regards, June BrookContent Creation OfficerLibrary and Information ServiceLearning and Leisure DepartmentLeeds City CouncilTel:  0113 224 3887Fax: 0113 247 8268
The older I get, the better I was.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

jonleeds wrote: I remember when I used to live in Morley there was a rumour about the old Morley Hall been haunted by the ghost of a 'grey lady', several decades ago the place was a maternity hospital for Morley's expectant mothers, and I know of a few ladies who claimed to have seen this ghostly spectre while they were staying there. Also there are tales of eerie apparitions all between Adwalton Moor and Howley Hall ruins - terribly wounded soldiers from the civil war era seen / heard wandering across the old battlefield area. I can remember that as a youngster we'd hang around in Spring Wood just between Morley and Gildersome, more known to Secret Leeds'ers as the site of the Gildersome Tunnel entrance, we were told that the Gildersome Tunnel was haunted because it had been the site of a terrible railway accident and that on dark winters nights the screams of agony from the dying and injured passengers could be heard from the entrance to the tunnel in its lonely woodland spot. However years later I found this to be a complete fabrication probably made up to keep kids away from the place, but it still scared us silly when playing out in them woods late at night. Hello jonleeds...Yes,Howley Hall ruins always held some sort of mysticism among people,particularly 30/40 yrs ago.....all sorts of stories abounded then.As kids,we were always fearful of Howley tunnel.....it was v.dark,quite a long curve,quiet yet ironically,noisy with water dripping from various places,damp,cold,atmospheric tunnel with a smell and personality all of it's own !Yet still we went through......!
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

lea

Re: Have you had a Paranormal experience?

Post by lea »

I believe in all this gs supernatural and the closet I've been was living in a house my husband and I lived in on daffy avenue in chiral, Morley. Which is built on an old plague cemetery. We had had various things happen like the TV being on when we had turned it off and gone to bed and things moving or hearing voices.

But the worst thing was when we were moving out and my husband was at the hospital visiting his mum. I was in the back bedroom hoovering before we moved and the hoover switched off. I turned round to see if my hubby was there and no one was there. I checked the plug and it hadn't come lose and the switch was switched on. The house had not had any electric faults whilst we were there.

But I also heard a bang and the room went ice cold. I walked out of the room and back in and it felt normal again.

The house when we went to look round it felt warm and inviting. But by the time we moved out it felt empty and it was very sad.

lea

Post by lea »

I believe in all things supernatural and the closet I've been was living in a house my husband and I lived in on daffy avenue in chiral, Morley. Which is built on an old plague cemetery. We had had various things happen like the TV being on when we had turned it off and gone to bed and things moving or hearing voices.

But the worst thing was when we were moving out and my husband was at the hospital visiting his mum. I was in the back bedroom hoovering before we moved and the hoover switched off. I turned round to see if my hubby was there and no one was there. I checked the plug and it hadn't come lose and the switch was switched on. The house had not had any electric faults whilst we were there.

But I also heard a bang and the room went ice cold. I walked out of the room and back in and it felt normal again.

The house when we went to look round it felt warm and inviting. But by the time we moved out it felt empty and it was very sad.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds lea thanks for your input hope you enjoy reading the posts if you can add to them please do.That old house of yours sounds spooky.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Bracken

Post by Bracken »

Not myself but my late mother did.Very early one Sunday morning she came out of her bedroom and as she crossed the landing there was a small man standing there.She observed that he was blured around his body.As she made her way the bathroom he said Good Morning to her.She just ignored him and went to the bathroom.The following Saturday my Mum & Dad went to the Liberal Club and she mentioned the experience and described the man.Some friends that they knew said by the description it was someone who had lived in our house a long time ago.This was the only time this happened and he was never seen again.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry »

If you have had a spiritual or paranormal experience which you wouldn't mind me including in an ebook I am doing, please put it on here, thanks, and quote this,
Last edited by Elderberry on Sat 11 Jan, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry »

Bracken wrote:
Thu 27 Jun, 2019 5:30 pm
Not myself but my late mother did.Very early one Sunday morning she came out of her bedroom and as she crossed the landing there was a small man standing there.She observed that he was blured around his body.As she made her way the bathroom he said Good Morning to her.She just ignored him and went to the bathroom.The following Saturday my Mum & Dad went to the Liberal Club and she mentioned the experience and described the man.Some friends that they knew said by the description it was someone who had lived in our house a long time ago.This was the only time this happened and he was never seen again.
Hi, Can I include his in an ebook I am doing, what area of Leeds was it?

Elderberry

Re:

Post by Elderberry »

Steve Jones wrote:
Sun 04 Nov, 2012 3:03 pm
[quotenick="Bruno"]T"One evening my girlfriend and I were alone together in the front room of the house.  Due to the (how can I put this on a respectable board?) erm... Due to the configuration in which  we found ourselves on the sofa, I was looking over her shoulder, and she was facing the opposite direction.  I looked in to the main area of the room and saw, sitting three or four feet away in an armchair, an elderly gentleman with a peaceful look of contentment on his face. "Actually as a Pagan I know that this type of activity (got to be careful with my words) can cause spirits to use the energy to manifest.not happened to me personally (very offputting I would think) but I know of a couple who saw The Owlman of Mawnan in Cornwall whilst "otherwise engaged"
Can I put this in an ebook I am doing, I will simply put you were lying on the sofa. It was in Leeds I assume.