Have you had a Paranormal experience?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Actually on looking in Ghosts & Goblins section ,i can't find the thread on ghosts seen on roads that i am sure used to be on here.In fact it was why i joined way back when.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

gars21

Post by gars21 »

"Haunted Leeds," is a fantastic book about ghostly goings on in leeds.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

When I was a little girl My step father worked for an antquits dealer His job was to restore age and even replica antquiets He brought home lots of furniture from house clearanes Our living room was like that room in kirkstall museumn above the pub . He once brought home a grandfather clock I was about 13 old enough to look after my younger brothers and sister while my parents went drinking. Late at night I heard a slow heavy breathing sound coming from the clock I went cold and clamy listening to this. When it was my turn to babysit again INCLDING brought my brothers and sister down. We all heard it, my parents never did. We had the clock ntil I left home at 17 I did not like been in the same room late at night as the clock. I do not know what happened to the clock or its history but it was pretty damn scary

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Firecracker, back in the early to mid nineties I used to be a member of a parapsychological research group that was run by the late author / parapsychologist Joe Cooper who was well known in those circles for writing a book about the Cottingley Fairies. The group was a mixture of people who were academics, clairvoyants, skeptics etc and we used to visit all sorts of places in Leeds where there were reputed hauntings - a bit like you see on that ' Most Haunted ' TV programme.I can remember going to Kirkstall Abbey at midnight and walking around with these middle aged ladies who claimed to be mediums and listening to them talking about the 'spirit' and all that. I guess I was one of the skeptics tho!If you research it you;re bound to find all sorts of local paranormal occurances. I used to like the folklore side of it, especially the legends of spectral hounds that are an omen of death, I think they call them 'Barghests / Padfoots' or something in Yorkshire, looks like a black dog with eyes as big as saucers or something, I cant remember its a long time since I was into all that...    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

there's tales here of Gab Retchets, a black dog with red eyes which frequents gledhow woods. Not sure how old the legend is as they are meant to haunt the drainage tunnels and they have only been in 60-80years.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Steve Jones wrote: Actually on looking in Ghosts & Goblins section ,i can't find the thread on ghosts seen on roads that i am sure used to be on here.In fact it was why i joined way back when. Hiya Steve,                 bit off Leeds theme admittedly,but in local folklore,there's meant to be a ghostly apparition seen on Chevet Lane out of Sandal back towards Barnsley....around the old lodge.I've heard tale of a veiled lady and somebody on horseback.Never seen anything but used to put a shiver down my spine as I used to frequent that quiet road on a night after work many a time.Very spooky,bendy stretch of road indeed.....for about 3 miles.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Friend of mine had a funny turn in the New Penny, he doesn't like to talk about it and I'm not 100% sure what happened but someone really put the willies up him.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

somme1916 wrote: there's meant to be a ghostly apparition seen on Chevet Lane out of Sandal back towards Barnsley....around the old lodge. Now that is spooky. I've never heard that tale before, didn't even know the area until 4 years ago when a job change meant I had to drive from home in Rothwell to Wath Upon Dearne every day. I first went down the M1 to J36 each day, but then worked out that I could save 20 miles per day (and so reduce my fuel bill by 100 miles per week) by going through Wakefield centre, and out along Chevet Lane towards Shafton and then on through Grimethorpe to Manvers.One fine morning last summer, I was driving down the steep hill on Chevet Lane, before the road takes a 90 degree turn to the right, when I saw a figure standing halfway down the hill, by the entrance to the farm drive on the right, about 75 yards in front of me. It occurred to me that it was a strange place for someone to be standing given that I had never seen a pedestrian on that isolated stretch of road before. I glanced back at the road ahead, then looked again to see who was at the roadside as I drew level with them. There was nobody there. I turned my head to look up the drive to the farm, but it was deserted.That's all there is to tell, I never mentioned this to anyone because there didn't seem to be any point to doing so, but now I wonder if I did see something strange after all.That was only a glimpse though, I've seen a ghost more than once in the Hollyshaw Lane area of Whitkirk....
The older I get, the better I was.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Bruno wrote: somme1916 wrote: there's meant to be a ghostly apparition seen on Chevet Lane out of Sandal back towards Barnsley....around the old lodge. Now that is spooky. I've never heard that tale before, didn't even know the area until 4 years ago when a job change meant I had to drive from home in Rothwell to Wath Upon Dearne every day. I first went down the M1 to J36 each day, but then worked out that I could save 20 miles per day (and so reduce my fuel bill by 100 miles per week) by going through Wakefield centre, and out along Chevet Lane towards Shafton and then on through Grimethorpe to Manvers.One fine morning last summer, I was driving down the steep hill on Chevet Lane, before the road takes a 90 degree turn to the right, when I saw a figure standing halfway down the hill, by the entrance to the farm drive on the right, about 75 yards in front of me. It occurred to me that it was a strange place for someone to be standing given that I had never seen a pedestrian on that isolated stretch of road before. I glanced back at the road ahead, then looked again to see who was at the roadside as I drew level with them. There was nobody there. I turned my head to look up the drive to the farm, but it was deserted.That's all there is to tell, I never mentioned this to anyone because there didn't seem to be any point to doing so, but now I wonder if I did see something strange after all.That was only a glimpse though, I've seen a ghost more than once in the Hollyshaw Lane area of Whitkirk.... Well,there you go !And I wouldn't have known about your experience back then....(thought farm was on LEFT if coming from Wakey end ?)....in any case,the area is roughly where these events are said to have taken place....just past old lodge,near open countryside...p.s. if you turn left at that 90deg bend,that's a very eerie place to be in after dark ! Under the railway arch,house/farm on left,then twisting,up 'n down roadway for about mile 'n a half.Still takes you through to Grimey but through other side of Shafton.I much preferred that route but then that was the side I wanted anyway.Some lovely open countryside around there still,believe it or not.Kes country !(if not in film....was mostly shot south 'o Barnsley around Hoyland,but still many school scenes at the old St.Helens secondary at Athersley/Carlton....which became Edward Scheerien school later in life)...not a million miles away !Now,back to Leeds...............
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

There are two farms Somme, one each side of the road, the entrances are nearly opposite each other. And I did used to take the left turn at the bottom of the hill, so I know what you mean.
The older I get, the better I was.