Lady lane ghost - Police report and sighting

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
dadrockholiday

Post by dadrockholiday »

In the summer of 1991 I was a serving police officer at Millgarth street police station in Leeds. I was just finishing a night shift with one of my colleagues and we were parked in our police car (ford Fiesta then) on Lady Lane having turned left from Vicar Lane. The time was about 05:30 and it was a lovely sunny bright morning, very still with no wind. We had parked up to complete our pocket books before we returned to the station for dismissal. As it was a warm morning both the vehicles driver and passenger windows were open and the engine was switched off. I was seated in the passenger seat and the other officer (who we'll call John) was driving. As I was writing up my pocket book, I heard footsteps walking along the pavement at the side of me approaching from behind our car. I looked up to say good morning to the pedestrian, as there was not another soul in sight and it was the polite thing to do. As I looked up I saw a man aged about 55, wearing a green tween 3 peice suit and brogues, he was also wearing a trilby hat and a pocket watch. Under his right arm he was carrying a newspaper. I said "good morning" but he never even looked up. He just carried on walking down Lady lane. I think I commented to my colleague something like "blimey he must be warm in that suit!" Anyway, we watched him as he walked down lady lane and he stopped at the entrance to an old warehouse on the left of the road, just past the junciton where all the Chinese restraunts are. the doorway jutted out and had a brick porch round it. He took out a bunch of keys and then walked into the doorway and we just assumed he had been the caretaker. After about 5 minutes we drove off towards Millgarth, as we reached the doorway where we had seen the man enter, I automatically looked to my left. To my total shock and amazement, the doorway we had seen him enter was in fact, bricked up! We stopped the car and we were both totally shocked and amazed. We spent the next hour (going into overtime) trying to find the man. We even called out the keyholders to the building and one of the supervisory officers arrived. We never found the man and we had to make an official pocked book entry (all three of us). This is the ONLY unexplainable thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Just wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this or knows anything else about it?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

dadrockholiday wrote: In the summer of 1991 I was a serving police officer at Millgarth street police station in Leeds. I was just finishing a night shift with one of my colleagues and we were parked in our police car (ford Fiesta then) on Lady Lane having turned left from Vicar Lane. The time was about 05:30 and it was a lovely sunny bright morning, very still with no wind. We had parked up to complete our pocket books before we returned to the station for dismissal. As it was a warm morning both the vehicles driver and passenger windows were open and the engine was switched off. I was seated in the passenger seat and the other officer (who we'll call John) was driving. As I was writing up my pocket book, I heard footsteps walking along the pavement at the side of me approaching from behind our car. I looked up to say good morning to the pedestrian, as there was not another soul in sight and it was the polite thing to do. As I looked up I saw a man aged about 55, wearing a green tween 3 peice suit and brogues, he was also wearing a trilby hat and a pocket watch. Under his right arm he was carrying a newspaper. I said "good morning" but he never even looked up. He just carried on walking down Lady lane. I think I commented to my colleague something like "blimey he must be warm in that suit!" Anyway, we watched him as he walked down lady lane and he stopped at the entrance to an old warehouse on the left of the road, just past the junciton where all the Chinese restraunts are. the doorway jutted out and had a brick porch round it. He took out a bunch of keys and then walked into the doorway and we just assumed he had been the caretaker. After about 5 minutes we drove off towards Millgarth, as we reached the doorway where we had seen the man enter, I automatically looked to my left. To my total shock and amazement, the doorway we had seen him enter was in fact, bricked up! We stopped the car and we were both totally shocked and amazed. We spent the next hour (going into overtime) trying to find the man. We even called out the keyholders to the building and one of the supervisory officers arrived. We never found the man and we had to make an official pocked book entry (all three of us). This is the ONLY unexplainable thing that has ever happened to me in my life. Just wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this or knows anything else about it? Great story! I always think ghost stories are spookier in daylight.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Would that be the old Lyons factory?http://goo.gl/maps/Xt61qor the block after?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Where is Jonesy??
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

dadrockholiday

Post by dadrockholiday »

Yes, that's the building in the picture you posted.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Wonder what our contributor jdbythesea was up to at the time? http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... tMessage=0

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Were and when have you posted /written this before I have seen this word for word somewhere and cant find were.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I know, looks like a cut and paste job if ever i saw one...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

dadrockholiday

Post by dadrockholiday »

Hi, yes you have seen this before, a journalist spoke to me via email about this, oh, must have been 3 years ago now and it was put on his website. I was actually looking for the website when I came accross secretleeds, that's why I thought I'd post it again and see if anyone else knew anything about it, or if anyone else had any similar experience in the area..

dadrockholiday

Post by dadrockholiday »

Think the website was called something like "Haunted Leeds" or something similar. Either way, I cant find it now. Funny because one of my mates saw this recently and said "are you still banging on about this?" :0)