Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
tommy

Post by tommy »

Thanks for your help guys.
Tommy

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tommy wrote: Hello there,I live in Leeds and I'm an illustrator. I've been asked to do some work for a really cool project that's going to be going on in Leeds in the next couple of months. I'm going to have some work displayed in the windows of Monroe House. I'm looking at myths and legends about Leeds and because of the location I thought it'd be good to do something based on Quarry Hill. I've heard tales about a giant rat. If anyone knows anything about this story I'd love to hear it.Cheers!     Tommy, I've edited your post as you will see. Whilst members may be willing to offer some general help, content of the nature you posted is not acceptable on a family-orientated site. Please bear this in mind when making any further posts. You may find it helpful to use the search option to find existing discussion relating to Quarry Hill.

book

Post by book »

Probably a coypu, most giant rats are escaped coypu.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Book, now you mention it there was summat in the paper recently where some chappy had slotted one. Looks like a big rat, taste like chicken

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Book, now you mention it there was summat in the paper recently where some chappy had slotted one. Looks like a big rat, taste like chicken I wonder what the response of a sandwich place will be if I ask for a coypu and sweetcorn sandwich?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

book

Post by book »

Probably horrified but perhaps if you order it in South Africa it would come with garnish. It's a tasty delicacy in some Countires. Whe people say they have seen giant rats in this Country most of them are escaped Coypu. They are river beevers.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I think the last time I saw a "giant rat" story it was Ravenscliffe estate, Bradford. I have seen some fairly large rats in Leeds centre though.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I remember years ago a man walking on East Street seeing what he said was hundreds of rats on the move in his words a black mass moveing towards the river area.Im told this does happen at times if they have been disturbed.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

My Grandad worked shifts at the train station for the post office,coming home early one morning in the 1930's,walking past the market near the Market Tavern,he had to jump on a wall to get out of the way of an advancing army of rats making their way down towards Millgarth.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

tilly

Post by tilly »

cnosni wrote: My Grandad worked shifts at the train station for the post office,coming home early one morning in the 1930's,walking past the market near the Market Tavern,he had to jump on a wall to get out of the way of an advancing army of rats making their way down towards Millgarth. Thanks for that cnosni so it can happen.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.