House on Wakefield Road, Swillington

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

Edit: the house is called Blacksmith Cottage.There's a supposedly haunted house near Swillington that I don't know the name of. It's a long white house right next to the road opposite a hotel called the Bridge Farm hotel. I've heard a few stories about this house and two more recently from my dad and my grandad. My dad told me about 10 years ago, when the house was unoccupied, he was walking along a pathway next to it and suddenly every single one of the lights inside it flickered on and off rapidly and didn't stop. My dad is a skeptic when it comes to ghosts and things, so I don't believe he would make up something like that. My grandad just told me tonight a story of a man who saw something black fly up to him when he looked through the house's letterbox, which is the same thing that happened to my nan years ago. So now I'm really curious about this house and I want to know if anyone else has any weird stories about it? I'm half tempted to go down there and look through the letter box but I'm not brave enough. I don't know how anybody dare live in it, though it always seems to be up for sale.    

Leedsrich

Post by Leedsrich »

Is it the house thats on a funny angle next to the main road?

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

Yes, you can't miss it. My grandparents considered moving into it but wouldn't go inside after they both saw something black fly towards them through the letterbox, and the man who lived there told them there were odd things happening in it like furniture moving on it's own.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Can't be much help on this,but the name of it is "Blacksmith Cottage"

loinergirl

Post by loinergirl »

I can give some insight to this thread, my family live here! I have indeed stayed in this house on many occasions & crush any scary stories (at least present ones), as much as I love a good spooky story. This house is very old, built around 1600/1700's and indeed is an old Blacksmith's Cottage part of the Swillington estate. Originally 2 cottages I believe. The only spooky thing about this house is my Dad, so beware of looking through the letterbox! I too would be interested if anyone has any more stories about this property, even spooky ones for pure comedy value. Any old pictures would also be of particular interest.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The last time I drove past there was an appalling smell in the car.

loinergirl

Post by loinergirl »

That will be the incinerator in the garden we use to burn the evil spirits!