LOTHERTON HALL

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Enrique

Post by Enrique »

Hi i am new to this but does anybody have any infromation about experiences in Lotherton Hall? i have experienced creepy things there myself, especially the picture of Alvary in the drawing room...
EnRiQue

Armley Lass 47

Post by Armley Lass 47 »

Hi thereI have never been to Lotherton Hall, but if you are speaking about Ghosts and feelings of coldness etc, then I do believe in that especially in houses so old as these halls are. Ghosts are mainly people who had a great presence in life but for some reason, maybe a sudden death or even murdered, seem to hang around. Wouldnt be the first occasion that someone has felt something different there, dont worry they wont hurt you.regards Armley Lass
your life comes from your ancestors

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

Probably about 20 years ago myself and a "female friend" were at Lotherton hall one evening. We were sitting in the car, parked on the large grass area alongside the main entrance gate. We were at the top of the hill looking back down towards the stables buildings. It was dusk and we were the only people around. (we were there searching for rare flying weasels before any one suspects anything untoward!). We both ended up watching a man down by the stables buildings. He was jogging up the grass towards us and was following a dog. I guess he was about 250m away and we could see him and the dog very clearly. As he ran up the field towards us both him and the dog just were'nt there anymore. No puff of smoke or flash of light, they both just were not there anymore. I looked at her, she looked at me and we both said "did you see what i saw." I started the car and legged it. We had to drive right past the point where the man and the dog had vanished. I was absoltely petrified I dont mind admitting. There were no holes in the ground or trees or objects to hide behind. They both just vanished in the middle of an open grass area.Im not saying they were ghosts, I have no idea what they were but two of us both clearly saw the same event which I cant explain.    

tilly

Post by tilly »

Well i for one have never heard of a flying weasel thats a new one on me.Theres me thinking i knew a bit about nature.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

They're very reclusive creatures. The best way to spot them is to hang out in dark places in a souped-up boy racer car with a willing female assistant! (this was a long time ago i hasten to add)

tilly

Post by tilly »

bigpants wrote: They're very reclusive creatures. The best way to spot them is to hang out in dark places in a souped-up boy racer car with a willing female assistant! (this was a long time ago i hasten to add) Ha now i know the ones you are talking about i have seen them in the past.But now i have more chance of seeing a dodo.lol    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

farbank

Post by farbank »

According to the book, Haunted Leeds, by Kenneth Goor.( And well worth the reading). Lotherton Hall is haunted by Mrs.Laura Gascoigne. Her ghost has been seen at the top of a staircase, dressed in the same clothing, as depicted in the picture with the young Alvary Gascoigne.Whilst serving in the Diplomatic Corps, in Russia. Alvary purchased a couple of dogs.( Poodles I believe). These are buried in the grounds, near the house. ' Masha & Michael '. The ghost of ' Michael' has been seen regularly on a corridor, by several people. And there are numerous ' scratch' marks visible on one of the internal doors. Where the dog was wanting to be let in. But of course there was no dog there, when the door was opened.All recorded in the book. Should be available in any City Library.    

Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

There has been a number of sightings of dogs around the outside of the hall however no one i have spoken to ever see's the dogs close up, they do not appear to notice people however one dog walker told me that his dog will not go over the driveway up to the house or anywhere near the front door.You can still see the graves of the dogs in the garden, just follow the main path which runs in front of the house to the tree line on the right, the graves of most of the dogs are there however if you go behind the temple folly there is also a grave stone there, it is a bit further back and the last time i looked it was overgrown, I cannot remember the name on the stone but it was a single name.Blue Max

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

There is a copper beech up by the house. A big old thing. I swear I saw a little (Edwardian?) boy and a small dog under that tree that weren't there when I got closer. This was broad daylight, a few years back.Never seen it before or since but I did used to love searching for the dog gravestones when I was a kid.We used to cycle up there in the early 70s - when the last old lady of the family still lived there. We spent hours playing at the fishpond, and sometimes, when walking past the front of the house, the old lady (who I'm sure was actually solid and real not a ghost) would watch us from the upstairs windows. I always felt she must be lonely.In those days you got chased away by an angry farmer if you went to the stackyard area which is now a cafe, etc. I think the council bought it from her, but waited til she died to do anything with the place. So we'd go up there and literally be the only visitors all day, sometimes, and would wander around the gardens and woods and look for dog graves.It was so many years ago, I wasn't consciously thinking about the dog graves when I saw - thought I saw - the boy and dog. Like the old lady, years before, there was a sense of loneliness.

TenDaysaLoiner

Post by TenDaysaLoiner »

Bluemax wrote: There has been a number of sightings of dogs around the outside of the hall however no one i have spoken to ever see's the dogs close up, they do not appear to notice people however one dog walker told me that his dog will not go over the driveway up to the house or anywhere near the front door.You can still see the graves of the dogs in the garden, just follow the main path which runs in front of the house to the tree line on the right, the graves of most of the dogs are there however if you go behind the temple folly there is also a grave stone there, it is a bit further back and the last time i looked it was overgrown, I cannot remember the name on the stone but it was a single name.Blue Max I didn't see it close up, either. I have walked my own dog/s up there over the past 10 years and my late dog and this current one, didn't seem bothered by going near the house, must admit.