Butts Court

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Kitty84

Post by Kitty84 »

I nearly posted this in the previous thread (about the sleep paralysis in Hyde Park) but couldn't remember the name of the road, except that it was vaguely rude! Now I remember that it was Butts Court :-)An old gentleman who I used to work with remembers walking through here in the 1940s / 50's and seeing dim lights (like candles flickering) and figures moving behind net curtains in a house he later discovered to have been derilect for many years.Of course, it could have been squatters, but he said at the time that Butts Court had a reputation for being haunted. I don't know whether anyone else had heard the same thing?The street has been more or less demolished as far as I can tell, but you can still see a few pictures on Leodis:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... =FULLKitty.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

In the mid 80's I used to frequent The Guildford. On a weekend when the landlord (Terry) had a lock-in someone had to take their dog for his nightly wander. A couple of times I did it, we'd exit the Guildford at the top door and walk up the Headrow. As we got near Butts Court the dog (a big hairy 4r5ed Alsatian) would always pull away and drag the walker near the road. It didn't matter who was walking him it always happened just at the entrance to Butts Court. Maybe it was sensing summat down there, who knows.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

As can be seen from this large scale 1847 map, Butts Court gets it's name from being near the site of the Park Butts. When the Park Square area was an actual park, this is where the male populace practiced their archery, as it was the old town boundary, marked by the nearby "Burley Bar" stone. The bar is shown on the map just east of the last D of Guildford Street.Note how, at this date, Guildford Street (now The Headrow) was the same width as Butts Court!            
Attachments
__TFMF_3epxig55arxlus45u5hx5z45_6795460e-a30d-4399-a1a7-ffd3f158c4ab_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3epxig55arxlus45u5hx5z45_6795460e-a30d-4399-a1a7-ffd3f158c4ab_0_main.jpg (324.19 KiB) Viewed 2495 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

always wondered why the Guilford had been so named. Basinghall street seems to have narrowed since the map too
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Si

Post by Si »

The pub may have been named after the street, but why was a street in Leeds named after a town in Surrey?