Goblin / Sleep Paralysis (Hyde Park)

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Regarding my posting about Chaos magicians,here is a link to an article by Phil Hine regarding a working he did in headingley.Note the reference to black chittering things towards the end:http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/rit_furies.html
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

I don't recall the uni occult soc of that era ever managing much besides screwing their own heads up, but i guess that is my view of it, and others may see it differently.Have we ever had any sightings of the 'spider god' that a certain person summoned off Brudenell Road back in 1996/7? Or related hauntings?
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I was involved in the spider god summoning!it was Richard freeman who is now connected with the centre for Fortean zoology.it started off as a party Richard gave to celebrate his 10 years as a Goth.I was invited as a mate and found he had set up a fake altar to a spider godd.He had a sound controlled spider hidden up the chimney in the cellar (for some reason this house (part of a set owned by leeds University) has a chimney in the cellars .the plan was that when Richard clapped his hands in an invocation ,the thing would drop down and scare those who unlike myself weren't in on it. In the event it didn't work as the toy spider got stuck.however richard being an occultist decided unknown to myself to continue to create a thought form of a giant spider.a year later he held another party to which I was invited.As I invariably arrive early to events,I was first there.I was actually going to be sleeping in the room adjoining the cellar. Richard told me what he had been doing and took me into the cellar to see if I could pick up on anything.he turned out the light.Now I hate spiders! You can imagine my reaction to feeling something the size of a small dog land on my back! it vanished when the light was put on but was definitely there.It was picked up on by others as well and for all I know can still be felt there.There is more to the story which I can't go into here,but if anyone wants to buy me a pint sometime i will tell them the full tale which is actually very funny.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Here you go Steve.
Attachments
__TFMF_soccoj45b24yeszeoy4vy155_da4d9a2d-f890-4644-9bc4-34781cb59b60_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_soccoj45b24yeszeoy4vy155_da4d9a2d-f890-4644-9bc4-34781cb59b60_0_main.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 12650 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Kitty84

Post by Kitty84 »

I doubt undergrad summoned spider gods have anything to do with the property at the top of this thread; this happened to my colleague in the mid-seventies before the street on which she lived was consumed by the student population :-)The original incident, with the guy's sister, must have happened in the early sixties, before the house in question was converted into bedsits. Now I love a good ghost story, but to be honest I'm fairly convinced sleep paralysis is a purely scientific phenomenum, one which I've experienced a couple of times myself and been mightily freaked out by. I'm no anthropologist, but the fact that cultures the world over see a variation of the same hag / goblin / nasty creature seems to have more to do with primal fears than demons. There was just something about this story that disturbed me. It doesn't fit the conventions of sleep paralysis, what with several different people having the same experience in the same room. The only vaguely personal story I can relate to this is something my uncle told me about an old farmhouse where he stayed, I think in North Yorkshire. He went to bed with a headache on a summer afternoon and woke up a short time later to find himself pinned down to the bed. The door seemed to open slightly and he got the impression of shadows running through the room, like children. He put it down to being sick and overtired, but shortly afterwards he stayed at the farm again, this time in a different room (I don't know the details but presume he had travelled further North in the meantime and was on his way back down) and that evening in the bar overheard a group of lads teasing one of their number, who had experienced something very similar. He later discovered the farmhouse had once been used as a school. This might be just my brain making strange connections, but looking back over these two stories made me wonder whether something about sleep paralysis brings a different aspect of human consciousness to the fore, one which can detect things that have happened in the past...But then that could be the Creative Writing grad coming out in me :-)Kitty

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Steve Jones wrote: Regarding my posting about Chaos magicians,here is a link to an article by Phil Hine regarding a working he did in headingley.Note the reference to black chittering things towards the end:http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/rit_furies.html Hi All,I'm a long time lurker of the forums here having adopted leeds as my home town and am generally fascinated by its history.I think Steve has potentially solved a mystery that I've wondered about for nearly 9 years.Mid 2001 I visited Leeds and stayed at house on Cardigan Road, just down from the Co-Op http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=l ... a=N&tab=wl I think it was this one down the small cul-de-sac off Royal Park Road, on the end right hand side.Anyways investigation in the basement (a novelty for me then) revealed possibly the largest stone table I had ever seen, lots of grooves/markings on it and a very strange wire-contraption built around the single light bulb in the room. The residents of the house had no idea about the tables origin as it was there when they moved in and frankly I have no idea how it could have got into the basement due to its size.So this has got me thinking at one time the table was to do with the LS6 magicians or some of their friends. I think it would be a step to far for me to imagine its 'the' basement from that ritual but strange netherless.Thanks for the info !Ps Strictly non occult weirdness of the visit was later that night being too drunk to remember the name of the street and asking the taxi for 'Jumper Avenue', I still got home !

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

"I was involved in the spider god summoning!it was Richard freeman who is now connected with the centre for Fortean zoology.it started off as a party Richard gave to celebrate his 10 years as a Goth.I was invited as a mate and found he had set up a fake altar to a spider godd.He had a sound controlled spider hidden up the chimney in the cellar (for some reason this house (part of a set owned by leeds University) has a chimney in the cellars ."lol i know, i was at that party, or was it the 2nd. great time but bloody awful caviar either way.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Si

Post by Si »

Crazy Jane wrote: "I was involved in the spider god summoning!it was Richard freeman who is now connected with the centre for Fortean zoology.it started off as a party Richard gave to celebrate his 10 years as a Goth.I was invited as a mate and found he had set up a fake altar to a spider godd.He had a sound controlled spider hidden up the chimney in the cellar (for some reason this house (part of a set owned by leeds University) has a chimney in the cellars ."lol i know, i was at that party, or was it the 2nd. great time but bloody awful caviar either way. Don't you just hate that - when the caviar isn't up to standard?!

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

"Don't you just hate that - when the caviar isn't up to standard?! Wink"First and last time i tried it, it was crunchy and salty and i spat it out into the bin and so did the next person to try it too.It was next to a punch bowl labelled 'beware the kraken' so perhaps the kraken had tried it first and this was what came out of the other end. Unless kraken's are copraphagous in which case it might have been what came out of the other end several times over.Maybe one of the mods could split this thread? I think we've unintentionally derailed Kitty's super Woodsley Road Spook thread with our ramblings?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I afraid to tell you jane that you fell for one of Richards jokes!It wasn't caviar,it was actually melon pips dyed black with food colouring.I know because having got there early(it was his first party) he warned me.Sorry to break it to you after all these years.Mind you I am now wondering which of the attractive girls there (none of whom I managed to cop off with<G>) was you.I was at both parties as I said.