Cross Green Graves?

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

Anyone know any info on the grave stones that can be seen from the road near Cross Green? Obviousley the factories etc have been built around them. and a close up...

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

There is nothing marked on the 1906 map, but they are in the grounds of what was Sanford House

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

they look like they're positioned in a circle too. hmmm. they look old though, glanced over from the road this morning. might stop one day and read them.

45man

Post by 45man »

I drive past there everyday,and I have never noticed them,guess I should have gone to specsavers!.

Si

Post by Si »

Very intriguing. Can someone in the area transcribe what's on them? They also appear to have a shallow circular ditch arond them.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

What makes you think they are grave markers?

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

cos they look identical to graves stones in shape and size. You can clearly see them when you drive past. they're mossy green colour, not stood straight, slightly slanted, classic gravestone shape. what else could they be?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LeeJ wrote: cos they look identical to graves stones in shape and size. You can clearly see them when you drive past. they're mossy green colour, not stood straight, slightly slanted, classic gravestone shape. what else could they be? Markers for many things as many here have found - really need to look at them up close. Intriguing.

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

I'll try but if anyone lives near them it'd be worth nipping over to look. I only pass on me way to work.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Can't line it up very well but the 1909 map shows a shaft to the south of Sanford House, prety close to these. That indentation is characteristic of the settlement you can get from the infill (or lack of!). No idea what the markers might be though.